Author Topic: My first Gouda, SUCCESS :-)  (Read 3070 times)

Tobiasrer

My first Gouda, SUCCESS :-)
« on: November 28, 2012, 03:07:32 AM »
 :)
So here is my second hard cheese, i went for Gouda, it is 1 week old, Probably a little early to cut, but if I was suppose to have patience
there would be a Dr in front of my name right?

My one question for those in the know is- People say the cheese is good but has a tangy flavour, is this just that it should age longer and that would subside or is it something else?
 thanks

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: My first Gouda, SUCCESS :-)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 12:29:53 PM »
:)
So here is my second hard cheese, i went for Gouda, it is 1 week old, Probably a little early to cut, but if I was suppose to have patience
there would be a Dr in front of my name right?

That had me laughing!!!!  Don't have the experience to say anything about the taste but wanted to let you know I appreciate your humor and your audacity to open a cheese so quickly and totally understand the urge!

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 01:33:36 PM »
Some Gouda's have a bit of a tang to them. Personally, I do not find that very surprising given how young it is. A week is pretty young. The shortest recipe I have seen calls for an aging of a month. Gouda's tend to age slowly than some cheeses- its better to leave them in there a bit longer. As time goes on, I would expect the flavor to mellow out a bit more (and then after a really long time- pick up and go crazy! Do this experiment, make a gouda and throw it in the back of your cheese fridge for a year or two. When you crack that open it will be cheesey heaven!!). 

You said it is your second hard cheese, what was your first? I think Gouda was my first- if not it was pretty close to first. Either way, it remains my favorite!

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 01:35:46 PM »
By the way, how hard did you press it and did you pre-press under warm whey? It looks like you have quite a few mechanical holes there.

Tobiasrer

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 03:45:41 PM »
My First cheese was a Mozza about a year ago.
Then I did a Grueyer, its aging, recipe says 4-6 weeks so Mid January, it has me concerned though with the mold... I hope it gets there! If not well some lessons were learned.
as for warm whey pressing I did press for about 20min with 10lbs direct weight (it is a 4.5" mold)
Then I pressed on my lever press with I think about 2-4psi, my notes are at home the instructions said a medium pressure.
As for aging time it said 3 days to airdry and then a week aging, so I really cut it about 3 days early. Was edible so that the important thing! now gives the confidence to move on to more! and worry less about the other one aging, if it ends in the waste bin well at least some succes was had!

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 04:07:47 PM »
My First cheese was a Mozza about a year ago.
Then I did a Grueyer, its aging, recipe says 4-6 weeks so Mid January, it has me concerned though with the mold... I hope it gets there! If not well some lessons were learned.
as for warm whey pressing I did press for about 20min with 10lbs direct weight (it is a 4.5" mold)
Then I pressed on my lever press with I think about 2-4psi, my notes are at home the instructions said a medium pressure.
As for aging time it said 3 days to airdry and then a week aging, so I really cut it about 3 days early. Was edible so that the important thing! now gives the confidence to move on to more! and worry less about the other one aging, if it ends in the waste bin well at least some succes was had!

Really? The recipe calls for a week aging? That's interesting- where did this recipe come from?

By the way, as I was on my way to work this morning a thought occurred to me. When you say it has a tang, you do not mean it tasted sour do you? If it tasted real sour- I would wonder about the curd washing step. The whole point of the curd washing is to remove a bunch of the lactose from the whey (or I guess to remove some of the lactose rich whey and then dilute it if you want to be technical). The idea here is this slows down acidification and results in a more mild flavor.

Of course, in the end- if its good, and its what you were going for- its hard to argue with that.

Tobiasrer

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »
Ok I have to make a confession here, I was diagnosed with Crohns and so I dont do well with dairy any more, except there is a windowbetween my treatments that I can, this is not that time so... I am going off everyone elses discriptions.
One person did describe it as sour, everyone else has just said tang but that it was good. I am going to age the other half for a month now I guess and then see.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 06:48:06 AM »
Alright,
Well in support of this thread (and my own curiosity...) I decided to crack open a Gouda that has been aging in my fridge for a little over a month. Usually, I like to let Goudas go a bit longer but I figured it would be fun to swap notes ;)

I did press it a tad bit on the hard side (admittedly, I pressed it harder than I really intended to) because originally I had planned a longer age- as such the texture is not like most commercial goudas I have had- its relatively dry. As far as a tang, I would definitely say I taste a tang and I would say it is much more pronounced here than it has been in my older goudas. Although, this was my first time with this baby gouda mould- so I do feel I left it in the brine a little too long- its pretty salty. This is undoubtedly contributing to the tanginess a bit.
With this particular make, I did goof up the curd washing step slightly in that I did not drain off the usual amount of whey immediately after cooking.
Annoyingly, I lost my notes from this make and this was one of the few recent makes that I did not record on my computer. I think with this one I may have used some Aroma B but I am not sure. The paste is very well knit with nearly no mechanical holes so I will be re-waxing the rest and trying it later down the road. Its not really at the flavor I would want yet but I can taste the flavor notes that I would want to be there. A little aging should make it pretty dang good.

I hope this helps!

Tobiasrer

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »
Thanks! I have already put half back to age! so we will see in a few more weeks.

Mighty Mouse

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:27:12 AM »
Thanks! I have already put half back to age! so we will see in a few more weeks.

Awesome! can't wait to hear about it! Always great when a cheese make goes well.