Author Topic: Mini crottin and friends  (Read 2150 times)

Geodyne

Mini crottin and friends
« on: June 02, 2014, 10:49:36 PM »
I'd been thinking about trying to make some bite-sized crottin and also about the versatility and similarity of many of the lactic cheeses, so a few weeks ago I did a one-gallon-ish batch of a lactic goat's milk.

4.5 litres goat's milk
1/32 tsp MM101
1 skewer tip Flora Danica
1 skewer tip geo
1 skewer tip P. Candidum
5 drops rennet

Heated milk to 25C, added cultures, cultured 30 minutes. Added the rennet and allowed to sit at temp for 24 hours. Placed in bag and drained 18 hours.

Then I split the curd: about 1/3 went into a Valençay mould, much of the rest went into crottin moulds, and the last went into two truly tiny moulds: just 5cm x 5 cm. These have been aged in an open container in the bottom of the cave, at 9C and 73-83% humidity, for three weeks. I broke into one with my dinner last night. Half a cheese makes three slices about the right size to fit on a small cracker.

I'm quite pleased with these. Nice softening and transparency under the rind, and still ever so slightly unripe in the centre. The more ripe cheese on the outside is tongue-tinglingly sharp, but I find that's a feature of this goat's milk. The interior is pleasingly grassy and mild and the contrast between the two is pleasing. I'm planning to age the larger crottin until they're hard but it will be interesting to see what the Valençay looks like. I may try that this weekend.

andreark

Re: Mini crottin and friends
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 04:58:52 PM »
They are beautiful.  I'm sure they taste super too.  Where did you get the recipe?

andreark

Geodyne

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 10:38:03 PM »
Hi andreark, thankyou! They do taste good. The recipe is my adaptation of the Crottin and Valençay recipes in Mary Karlin's book. They'd be a good place to start if you wanted to play.

I broke into the Valençay last night, and learned once again that these things fall over the edge fast. I wasn't sure whether this was ready yet, but at 3.5 weeks in an open container at 9C, there was a good bit of goo under the rind. That was strong and goaty like the crottin, but the less ripe interior: deliciously fresh and citrusy.

The slightly golden cast of the photo is due to the lighting in my kitchen.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »
Cheese to you Geo, those look wonderful.
- Paul

Geodyne

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:40:19 PM »
Thanks Arnaud. What I find fascinating is the difference in the flavour between the mini crottin and the Valençay. That layer of ash really does make a difference.

andreark

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 04:45:46 AM »

I have two batches of Epoisse types aging and an adaptation of a Brie De Melun  that I worked
out using Gianaclis Caldwell's book.  I have been doing lactic types for some time now.  I just
like the stronger types.  I must admit that it has gotten easier since my Oakton Acorn purchase.
It's a fun little toy...

Have fun,

andreark

Geodyne

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 05:24:33 AM »
Ah, now how do you find the Oakton Acorn? My pH meter died recently after a battery leaked, so I'm in the market for a new (better) one.

jwalker

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 01:11:03 PM »

I'm planning to age the larger crottin until they're hard but it will be interesting to see what the Valençay looks like.

Those look great , a cheese to you !

I was wondering what you meant by aging until hard , don't most PC ripened cheeses get softer with age , I've never made these particular ones so don't know much about them.
What would you say is the difference between the ones with ash and without , that's another thing I have never used.

I just may order some and try this recipe.

andreark

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 01:54:22 PM »
 I purchased mine from Instrumart.  But I bought an Acorn 6 and got an Acorn glass spear tip for it so that I could test semi solids.  There are other spear tips but I have the glass one.  Prices have fallen a little but they
are still expensive.  I think I paid over $300 for the combination.  But make sure you get a 'spear'.  You can
use other electrodes but the spears can be used safely with curd.  The others are not meant to penetrate
semi solids and trying to use them will 'gum up' the works after a while.....Or at least that is what I was told.

Just Google Oakton Acorn and you will find many places that sell them

Andrea