Author Topic: Need some Help: CHEDDAR-PARM Hybrid Experiment (Dubliner / Bellavitano Type)  (Read 1394 times)

Spoons

I'll be on vacation in a few weeks and I'll have some time to make some "out-of-my-repertoire" cheeses. I'm specifically planning on trying to create a CHEDDAR-PARMESAN hybrid, much like a Dubliner or Bellavitano.

The Main objective: Cheddar-type body, Pamesan-like taste (sweet and sharp).

Anyone have an opinion on some starting points for my little experimentation?
Choice of culture?
Recipe type?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
I'm too new at this to have any *informed* ideas to offer ... but why let that stop me, right? :)

It sounds like a very intriguing idea. My first thought, which may be overly obvious or just plain wrong, is to use a thermo culture (perhaps in addition to meso?) plus some lipase; cut the curds small; and do a cheddaring phase. The part I have absolutely no clue about is how hot to go with the cooking phase.

I will be very interested in following your experiment!
-- Andy

Spoons

I was thinking that too. A simple cheddar recipe with a mix of MA11 and LH100.

Another direction I was thinking: A simple parm recipe (ST61 + LH100), but with full fat milk and seal the wheel once it's finished air-drying. Would that end up making a sliceable cheese with a cheddar-like body?

jwalker

I was thinking that too. A simple cheddar recipe with a mix of MA11 and LH100.

Another direction I was thinking: A simple parm recipe (ST61 + LH100), but with full fat milk and seal the wheel once it's finished air-drying. Would that end up making a sliceable cheese with a cheddar-like body?

I like Spoons idea , but add some lipase , and wax it for aging if you want the cheddar texture.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Would LH100 be enough? I was under the impression that LH100 should not be used as a thermo culture by itself (though of course you would be putting it with a meso); rather it adds some of the nuttiness of an alpine cheese. The two parmas I have made (which I am still waiting to mature) just used TA61 as the culture, no LH100. Again, I'm a rank beginner, so take my words with a grain of salt ... or maybe a long brine soak! :)
-- Andy