Author Topic: Cheddar - 4 gallon  (Read 1324 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Cheddar - 4 gallon
« on: June 07, 2014, 06:15:35 PM »
My third time using the Avantco warmer, now with the PC controller for the water bath! And my first chance to use the PC curd harp! I cannot even express how nice it was to see those lovely cubes of curd!! The make was pretty much following the Caldwell directions for cheddar, and was very much like the prior cheddar I made (not yet opened). It took a bit long for the milk to come up to temp however, making perhaps a too long ripening period with pH a bit low on renneting. But curd was very nice at end of cooking time, with target pH and curd nice and squeaky with a good grip. Cheddaring may have gone a bit long with difficulty measuring pH. Curd was a bit sour(acidic), and firm though pH was on target as far as I could tell. End product was nicely knit, very firm cheese, weight of 3# 5oz, with a bit of trim from cheese having pH of 5.1. Into the cave with the controller keeping temp near 55 degrees!!
Susan

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Cheddar - 4 gallon **Tasting Notes**
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 01:50:47 AM »
Lots of family over, so opened this cheese at about 5 months. This cheese had been vacuum sealed at one week after the make due to cracking along the curd lines, so it had minimal time with air exchange for aging. But that means it also required almost no maintenance during its aging, making it a very low stress cheese. I immediately vacuum sealed half to age further out. With all that family it might have been eaten along with the rest! In two days they managed to eat all but a few ounces, which I take that as a testament to it's appeal!
My notes... Paste was creamy and a bit moist but crumbly like I like cheddar to be. It melted very nicely as well. Taste was nutty, a little sweet, and a very nice sharp finish. My son pronounced it the best cheddar yet!
Time to make another!
Susan

amiriliano

Re: Cheddar - 4 gallon
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 02:01:50 AM »
Beautiful paste. Uniform texture looks like. AC4U

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
Re: Cheddar - 4 gallon
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 05:05:52 AM »
Nice! :-)