Author Topic: Avantco Warmer  (Read 1802 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Avantco Warmer
« on: June 07, 2014, 06:27:33 PM »
I have used the warmer 3 times now for 4 gallon makes. I wondered how it might be going for others....  I like it very much, especially being able to use larger amounts of milk without a tall pot. And cutting curd is much easier, especially with my new PC curd harp!!
But I have a few difficulties too... 1) The larger size is a bit of a challenge for cleaning/sterilizing. 2) Water temp versus milk temp is a bit difficult to predict and control. 3) Draining whey with a siphon usually means I make a mess on the floor.
I purchased the controller from Perfect Cheese, so knowing the water temp is much nicer than guessing. But there is a learning curve I have not yet met..... It seems like the water temp needs to be quite a bit warmer than the target milk temp in order to reach the correct temperature. Generally I would rather be a few degrees under rather than over, so it makes me cautious!
Any comments?
Susan

Spoons

Re: Avantco Warmer
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 02:51:08 AM »
It seems like the water temp needs to be quite a bit warmer than the target milk temp in order to reach the correct temperature. Generally I would rather be a few degrees under rather than over, so it makes me cautious!
Any comments?

If your stainless steel pan is a regular 24 gauge pan, then the temp difference should only be 1F before coagulation. It takes time though for the milk to reach that 1F differential, especially with so little water.

If your probe is in the water, then it most likely will touch the part of the advanco that is real close to the heater. If so, then maybe your probe is registering warmer temps too quick. Maybe try to stick the probe on the bottom (outside) of your pan? That way it's at it's closest to the milk as possible without being too close to the heater. 

I have no experience with this type of setup. So, just a guess on my part. BTW, are those probes waterproof?

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 04:00:05 AM »
John at PC said it was fine to use it in the water. Your suggestion is good about putting the probe in a different place. I will try it on the side of the pan where the water comes up the sides, rather than directly over the heating unit!! I will try it with water instead of milk and see how it goes. Thank you for the suggestion.
Susan
Susan

Mboyles

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 04:38:16 PM »
This is a timely question for me. Just yesterday I ran my first test on my Avantco warmer. I put 3 gal of water in the warmer and 2 gal of water (simulated milk) in a 4" pan. The water in the warmer just touched the bottom of the pan. I put the temp sensor in the warmer water about 1/2 way up the side. I am using the Perfect Cheese temp controller as well. I set the temp controller at 88 deg. When 88 deg was reached and the warmer cut off the warmer temp continued to rise about 10 degrees to 98. The water in the pan slowly rose and stabilized at 87 deg as the warmer temp slowly fell. First look seems this will work pretty well. I didn't have time to continue the test but I plan to run a series of tests recording the temp rise for different starting scenarios. I will post my results if anyone is interested.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 06:27:11 PM »
Sounds good. I used the Avantco with it's temp control knob turned to the highest temp setting, number 6 on the dial. Is that what you did as well? I think it would be good to document time to reach temp as well....
Susan

Mboyles

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 09:01:13 PM »
 I turned the warmer control to the highest setting and let the Perfect Cheese temp controller turn it on and off. I will try and document the times as well when I do more tests.