Author Topic: For those that love Pepper Jack cheese......  (Read 7210 times)

Worlock

Re: For those that love Pepper Jack cheese......
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 02:00:45 AM »
I'm not sure if flakes would yield the same consistency and surprise as one would expect from a *good* pepper jack.  I expect, and if that is not the same as your expectations, then that's good, that's what we do.  But I expect a mild overtone of flavor of cheese and peppers... As one chews it one gets a *pow* of flavor as you connect with one of the pepper chunks.  I just don't think that a dehydrated powder would supply that.

I could be completely wrong, but knowing peppers like I do, I base my supposition based on past playfulness with all things peppers.

I just don't think you could get that specific combo of flavor with flakes...

Not shooting you down of course, brainstorming is great especially in communities like this where folks most often treat each other with mutual respect.  I validate your opinion, I just don't share it in this respect :)

Worlock

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 02:07:40 AM »
Wait, I've rethunk my original theory... That might actually work.  The powder fine flakes would in fact create the overall mild pepper flavor... That coupled with fresh would actually accomplish the disired affect.  It would be more "messy" in that there would be alot more specks and flakes in it, but I think you might actually be on to something.... In the absence of an extract this angle would actually work.

Jeesh... sorry for saying no way... but after it sat and simmered, I realized it would work if you didn't mind the extra "business" look of the cheese...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 02:18:37 AM »
Well I don't know. I make my pepper flakes with about 3/8 inch diced peppers and when they're dry they're about 1/4 inch. I cold smoke them for about an hour before drying and they have plenty of flavor all winter long. Your gonna have to leave some of the vein for hot peppers though.

I agree a "powder" would be more of an instant heat and lacking in a cheese. You need some texture in there. That's why I suggested flakes (I call them flakes anyway as opposed to strips) - maybe dry diced peppers would be a better word?

Worlock

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 02:26:41 AM »
Ok I see what your saying now.  Our definitions of similar terms are somewhat different.  To me flakes or powder is very granulated, into pieces no larger than a grain of salt... What your saying is more of a larger flake like you'd think like fish food... larger flakey... That makes sense... And you know what it might work too.  And your right the acidity of the cheese would preserve it nicely.  Why don't we both make one using each procedure and see how they come out? lol...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 02:44:36 AM »
Sounds good to me. I have some supplies on order all I need now is some jalepenos to dry. What are we making cheddar or Jack?

Worlock

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 02:57:37 AM »
Sounds good to me. I have some supplies on order all I need now is some jalepenos to dry. What are we making cheddar or Jack?

Jack... I've got some new Mesophilic Starter coming in tomorrow, will start mine... But I'll need a few weeks to create the pepper extract... Might put me behind by a few weeks :)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 03:00:19 AM »
I hear that! I may not get a start for a few weeks either. I'll have to check my recipes and se what I need - bet none of it is in my order! Except maybe the salt flakes.

coco

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2009, 07:53:49 PM »

... remember our conversation about lactose fermented veggies ? ....

Could you direct me to this conversation. Lactose fermentation is something I'm interested in learning more about. thank you

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 06:57:30 PM »
Hi Hojo -

I posted a few Lacto-Fermented veggie recipes for you in this section. I think the conversation was in the How to make kraut thread.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?board=62.0

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2009, 07:55:51 AM »
Looks good Dave.