Author Topic: Sweet, creamy Tilsit (#5)...yum!  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Sweet, creamy Tilsit (#5)...yum!
« on: June 14, 2014, 03:29:10 PM »
Yesterday was another dual-make day: Montasio and Tilsit. Starting with the Montasio at 6:00AM, I finished with the Tilsit at 2:30PM. Not bad...at least it didn't consume the entire day and into the night. One cheese for the near-now and one for later (a year later).

I did have a little stumble along the way in this make. Hopefully, all will be well.

Initial pH: 6.72

2 gallons Twin Brook Creamery whole creamline milk
1 gallon Dungeness Valley whole raw milk
1/4 tsp Alp D
1/8 tsp PLA
1/2 tsp CACL
1/32 tsp dry calf rennet

Following the recipe I have used before.

I brined it for 12 hours, flipping at the 6-hour point. Now it's out to air dry before heading to the cave. Fingers crossed. ???

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Sweet, creamy Tilsit (#5)...yum!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:57:20 PM »
This seems to be aging nicely. Through the plastic bag, the rind compresses slightly with a gentle press. This might signal unwanted development just under the rind because of the linens/Geo treatment. Monitoring it closely. There is no liquid/whey inside the vacuum bag.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:09:30 PM »
Nice! How long do you age a tilsit?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »
Nice! How long do you age a tilsit?
I'm looking at the holidays. I've tried to focus on 4-6 months, although my Tilsit #4 was just shy of its third month.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »
I have been checking on this cheese and turning it regularly. The rind seemed to be a little spongey and I was concerned that the rind treatment might destroy the paste. There was some concern too that the earlier incursion might spoil the end product. As I had hoped for, the cultures I added did their job and imposed their will upon any residual stragglers.

Oh, not to worry...this cheese is spot on for character, taste, & texture! A very nice little Tilsitter.

So this cheese remains true to the three month affinage which the earlier efforts adhered to.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 06:13:27 PM »
That's a fantastic looking Tilsit Boofer!  The light pink colouring contrasts nicely with the deep yellow paste.  You've certainly got access to great milk there.  Speaking of, here in New Zealand there's a franchise dairy system starting up where they sell raw milk from vending machines!  Basically, you go in, bring your own bottles or pay a deposit for some, and fill up.  The milk comes from the cows at that farm, and is $2.50 a litre.  I've not found one near me yet, but hopefully there will be one near Auckland somewhere.  Anyway, well done and a cheese to you.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 11:51:27 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.

Your future vending machine sounds like a great idea. I had seen that before several years ago somewhere else. I guess there is a enough demand for the raw milk that it is freshened regularly? The price is about what I've been paying ($9.99/gal).

I added some of this to some sliced tomato and herbs on sourdough toast for breakfast this morning. What a delightful way to begin my day! Very nice. I'm glad I didn't throw the milk out. ;)

My sister drove down from Canada this afternoon and she got a box of Tilsit #5, Saint Paulin #4, and Montasio #1, along with a bottle of Gewürztraminer. Sorry, no crackers or crusty bread.... ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!