Author Topic: The most amazing Walnut-Blue cheese Sourdough bread (inc recipe)  (Read 4048 times)

Tomer1

This one started as finding use for my pink stinky linens attacked gorganzola dolce , it is simply too potent to be had as table cheese so... cooking\baking cheese!    Some went to Omletes,some to ravioly filling and some for this amazing lean bread which taste as rich as a Brioche!    I think its my best bread to date.  ^-^

I appologize for using bakers percentage but thats how I roll.  :P

Flour:
25% starter (firm'ish 80% hydration levin fermented overnight\untill doubled in size)
25% white strong wheat flour
50% whole wheat (strong winter\red wheat if possible)

Water:
75-78%  (according to flour absorption\feel)    - dont forget to subtract the water used in the starter.

Cheese:
15% Blue
10% Walnuts
5% Dried up Tomme\Grana  (I had some left in the back of the fridge)

Salt:
1.8% (if using very salty blue use even less salt, as low as 1.5-1.6%)

Mixing:
1.mix the flours
2.Mix on speed 1 the starter,flours and water very shortly untill incorporated - about 1 min.
3.Leave to autolysis for 10 minutes.
4.Add salt and mix on  speed 1 for 5 minutes.
5.Add crumbled\grated cheese and choped walnuts and mix for 1 min.

Fermentation:   
1.leave at room temp for 2 hours\untill showing signs of rising and fold the dough
2.(optional to develope further flavor\aroma) Retard the dough till next day folding it once or twice in between.
3.If not retarding let rise untill doubled in size (additional 2-3 hours).

Deviding+Proofing:
This is my original design (too bad I dont have a camera to take pictures) , Its clover design. (4 parts)
Devide dough into 300-400 gram pieces and put into a round tin\mould\something with barrier to hold the dough so it doesnt expand and flatten\lose shape) , I used a flat tin top with about 2cm high edges, perhaps 30cm across and arranged as clover. 
Let proof untill its... proofed. (about 1.5-2hr)  dough pieces should now come togther as one shape with the empty hole in the middle nearly gone.
Dust the dough with rye flour.

Baking:
Preheat to maximal temp (280c in my case)
Insert bread onto a baking stone and steam the oven.  10min    If possible ,extract from tin onto the stone to crisp up the underside.
Lower heat to 210-220c for 20-30 minutes (untill crusty and done).

Cool and enjoy  ;D

When ready the 4 parts can be riped apart and shared with butter,jam and cheese  O0

Cheese Head

Re: The most amazing Walnut-Blue cheese Sourdough bread (inc recipe)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:24:58 PM »
Sounds and probably smells & tastes absolutely wonderful, but aaaggghhh, no camera, no pictures!!??!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:30:44 PM »
Sound pretty interesting Tomer

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:45:47 AM »
Sounds and probably smells & tastes absolutely wonderful, but aaaggghhh, no camera, no pictures!!??!!

I'l be sure to make it again and perfect it even further. :)

shotski

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 11:59:26 AM »
Have you done this one since the last post Tomer? If so how did it turn out?

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »
Yeah, I've done it several times and its always a hit even with thos who dont like blue cheeses. 
I have some overly strong stilton. maybe i'l use it...    I dont know how this type of bread is not done commerically.  maybe the high ingridient cost cant justify...