Author Topic: Basic Generic Soda Pop Recipe  (Read 4198 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Basic Generic Soda Pop Recipe
« on: March 22, 2009, 04:46:44 AM »
Basic Generic Soda Pop Recipe

Equipment for 1 gallon:

6 quart or larger pot 
Flavor Concentrate (usually 1 oz.)
2 quarts of boiling water
2 quarts of cold water
2 cups of white Sugar 
1/8 teaspoon Yeast 
Plastic soda bottles and caps (washed and sanitized)
Funnel (to fit into the top of the bottle)
Ladle (to pour soda into ladle)

Take about ½ cup of the cold and warm it to about 70 degrees. Mix in 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and dissolve well. Let this sit until you need it.

Put 2 cups of sugar in a pot big enough to hold at least 6 quarts. Add 2 quarts of boiling water. Dissolve the sugar completely. 

Add cold water to boiling water to get lukewarm water. It may have to cool some before you add the yeast. If it’s to hot you will kill the yeast! 

Once the water is cool enough – about 70 degrees, add the yeast to the water and the soda concentrate. Stir to mix well.

Set a bottle in the sink and put the funnel in the bottle. Ladle soda into the funnel and fill bottle to about 1 inch from the top. 

Remove funnel, wipe off bottle opening and screw cap on tightly. Lay bottle on its side to check for leaking.

If there are no leaks put bottles somewhere at room temperature for about a week. Then put them in the refrigerator to chill for a few days before drinking.

It’s a good idea to open the bottles over the sink. They will be really carbonated and could spew out all over the place!

WARNING! DO NOT USED GLASS BOTTLES! If You must use glass only beer bottles or champagne bottles can be used. If the bottles explode I won’t say I told you so! AND I won’t be responsible if you get hurt! Soda is more powerful than beer!

Crystal

Re: Basic Generic Soda Pop Recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:54:45 AM »
does this use champagne yeast? or brewers yeast?

edit: Its ok, i went to your website and found the pdf ;) thanks Debi!

Buuuuuut, while looking for syrup recipes to replace the concentrate i came across this:
http://www.alpharubicon.com/kids/makesoda.html

Now, im all for distribution of material on the internet, but i couldnt help but notice that her instructions (which she has stated are copyright to her) are almost identical to yours Debi, especially when referencing the types of yeast that are recommended... Understandably, the recipe itself isnt copyright, but the text from your recipe is. If it bothers you the link is there and you can do what you will with it. Otherwise let all be merry and wander off and make soda!

Thanks,
Crystal
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:09:05 AM by Crystal »

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »
A week at room temp will produce alcohol=basically wine. 
I suggest using wine yeast such as EC1118 (0.9$ for 5 gallons worth of juice), you will get less of a bready flavor.

Crystal

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 07:54:58 AM »
Sounds good to me! I dont want a bunch of drunk kids running around! And i think they have wine yeast at the grocers

Tomer1

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
As soon as you have carbonation (about 1-1.5 days after yeast inoculation,depending on ferm. temp, which is the lag phase where the yeast just devide and havent started producing alcohol yet) you should move it to the home fridge to stop fermentation.
You will have less then 0.5% ethanol which is essentially non alcoholic (like root beer).

Crystal

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 10:03:16 PM »
Ah, thats good information! I was wondering how long it took yeast to work its magic, and im sure i knew it, learned when i did my training, and im sure kts in my old work books... but for the life of me i cant find it. So thanks so much for that info!

CdnMorganGal

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 03:00:34 PM »
Whenever I make something that needs a bit of fermentation at room temp I keep the bottles in my shower stall - living in the tropics rooms temps are usually a bit high so the ceramic flooring keeps the bottles at a slightly lower temperature, and its easy to clean out the shower stall in case of leaks or explosions !

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 08:00:18 AM »
Crystal - You will find a lot of my stuff all over the internet. Some retain my name or logo many do not. I find my smoking wood chart on 1 out of 4 websites and only 2 have kept my name on it. It's okay at least my efforts continue to help people and that is why I did it in the first place.  ;)