Author Topic: Caerphilly #1 (and 2?)  (Read 9550 times)

JeffHamm

Re: Caerphilly #1 (and 2?)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 11:55:51 PM »
Nah, mould on the rind is normal, and in the end, cheddar types are better when they get a coating of mould on the outside (just brush it back every few days).  Personally, I find waxing a cheese before a month or two problematic because of whey retention (the cheese gets wet under the wax, and that will ferment).  Just cut the rind off when you eat the cheese (wild rinds are rarely tasty in a good way, but they do help deepen the flavour of the interior paste).

But, if you want to keep the wax coating, then it is probably best to just scrap the surface clean, and reheat the wax hot enough so it kills any surface bacteria.  That should, in theory, help prevent mould.  Wiping with vinegar and sal adds moisture to the surface, and you want that dry before waxing, which just leaves it exposed to get re-contaminated anyway.

- Jeff

Stu

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 12:40:27 AM »
Thanks for the response.

Based on that I think I'm going to just set it in the fridge as is, and see what happens :)

I'll leave the other one waxed for now, just to see how the taste/texture differs.

Stu

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 04:27:22 AM »
So, I've got more moldy friends showing up, and I don't know if this is normal.

It smells rather strongly of moldy bread.

If it's normal, then I'll stop pestering the board and just wait it out. If it's concerning for this cheese, is there much I can do? Should I be concerned about other cheeses in the fridge? I've got a Wensleydale that's been waxed, and a havarti that I just added today (a writeup to come in the next few days), that's doing the "flip every day for a month, then wax" dance.

Is this ok? Or should I do something?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 02:13:13 PM »
that isn't scary? check out my recent cheddar, now thats scary :o
it is only 9 weeks old, I have been brushing it back about once a week,
It is kind of musty smelling yet not in a bad way, very interesting smell.
I like it 8)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Stu

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
That is a bit unnerving :D

Probably my biggest fear is that my wife is going to make me move the mini-fridge, due to the smell (when I open the door to flip cheeses, closed it smells just fine)

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 09:44:54 PM »
Hi Stu,

Just get a soft bristle nail brush and brush it off.  The rind will harden, and discolour, but the inside paste will be fine.

- Jeff

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 01:11:09 AM »
I tend to be a bit verbose but here is my Caerphilly make - There is a description of the 'Floc' method as well - hope that helps some.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10375.0.html

Cheers

-Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Rizzo

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 11:32:14 PM »
Stu, I had the same experiences regarding the mold.

I was totally shocked when mould appeared on my first cheese.  I immediately wondered what I'd done wrong. Using a Mad Millie instruction book, or 200 Easy Cheeses, there was never any mention of molds appearing during the drying/aging process.

From this website, and mainly Jeff Hamm, my mind was set at rest, that this was perfectly normal.

Most cheese book authors don't seem touch on this subject, similarly they seem to be very vague on aging.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:37:48 PM by Rizzo »

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
Rizzo, for some of us, it is aging that makes us rather vague ... what were we talking about, again?
-- Andy

Rizzo

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 08:07:50 PM »
hahahaha....very good.  ;D

Rizzo

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »
Could anyone advise on a good floc factor for Caerphilly?  I have seen a factor of both 3 and 4 stated in various recipes.  There must be quite a difference here?  thanks

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 03:54:32 AM »
Don't laugh - I use 3.5  :o
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Rizzo

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 09:54:19 PM »
Not laughing at all...sounds perfect ! :D

Spoons

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 02:26:39 AM »
One of the biggest humps to hurdle over for a new cheesemaker is to not get worried about molds. After 5 years of making cheese, I still haven't jumped over that one. lol. That's why I'm a huge cream coat fan. I don't get the cool rustic results like Jeffhamm does, but when I'll get a bigger cheese cave, I'm planning to get starting on natural rinds.

Nice cheese BTW, AC4Y!

Stu

« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »
I've seen people talking about cream coating cheese, but I haven't seen (or really searched) for what they mean. Since we're talking about it, could you explain what exactly you are doing?

What sort of cream are we talking about?

When are you putting it on?

What sort of prep are you doing before you put it on? (or is cheese specific?)

Do you have a maybe have a link to a bigger discussion?