Author Topic: 3rd Stilton (and testing some new stuff)  (Read 12806 times)

John@PC

3rd Stilton (and testing some new stuff)
« on: July 01, 2014, 12:08:59 AM »
I used Pav's recipe again with substitutions and notes indicated below.  This was my first 6 gal. make (of anything), as I wanted to test a 8" deep full-size rectangular steam table pan and new cutter sized to the pan.    Posting this in "cheese making equipment" as it does show some of our products.

Recipe and notes:
6 gal. whole cows milk (low-temp pasteurized, non-homogenized)
3/8 tsp P. roqueforti
1½   tsp rennet
¾ tsp MM100 (substituting for Aroma B)
2 cups cream
4 tbs. salt

Pre-warmed milk in sink
Added 6 gal. milk + 2 cups cream to pan
Warmed milk to 86F; pH 6.4
Added ¾ tsp MM100 and 3/8 tsp P. roqueforti
Ripened 60 min.; pH 6.4
Added 1½ tsp CaCl diluted in 2/3 cup cool water
Added 1½ tsp single strength rennet diluted in 2/3 cup cool water
Surface gel in 10 min.; recipe calls for 4 x gel but first cut wasn't clean so I added another 10 mi.
Cut curd into 1" cubes with new prototype curd cutter*
Let curds rest / heal 10 min
Stirred very gently with spatula for 10 min. while curds were fragile
Continued stirring another 20 min.
Let curds settle until pH 6.0
Siphoned out most of whey
Pitched curds by tilting pan and moving curds to higher end of pan while removing collected whey at lower end-
Covered pan and let curds drain in pot for 6 hr. removing whey as needed (final pH 4.9)
Removed slab and milled into 3/4" cubes
Salted  with 4 Tbs. non-iodized salt (1 Tbs. at a time between tossing curds)
Added milled curds to 6" dia. x 10" tall cylindrical clear polycarbonate mold
Flipped mold twice in one hour (should have been 4 times, see below)
Flipped every hour for two times (should have been 4 times, see below)

This is day 2 and curds will stay in mold for another 4-5 days flipping daily.  As for my "missed flips" these were unforced errors.   As you will see in pics one end has larger-sized crevices so I plan to put some added weight after next flip.  Also, I had reserved some curds for "icing" but somehow they got into the cheese mold (sigh). 

Additional notes:
1.  While there were some issues with the 8" deep pan (my stirring spatula was way too short) it handled the 6+ gal. make very well.
2.  Rectangular pans are great for allowing the whey to be poured out when pitching but a 6 gal. make is way too heavy.  A simple siphon tube / pump works good using some plastic mesh to filter the curds. 
3.  The wide aspect ratio (length vs. width) of the pan lets you put a block under one end to drain the whey while "moving"curds to higher ground.  Almost as good as a draining sack and a whole lot easier.
4.  The 9" square curd cutter shown in the pics worked great and we plan to add it (along with the 8" deep pan) to our product line in the near future.
5.  I chose to mill the curds by cutting rather than breaking because there was so darn much cheese!  Much faster and I think it does encourage good crevice "gaps" compared to hand milling (as long as you remember to flip the mold as recommended).
6.  Got ready for the 1st flip of the mold and realized how do you do this  :-\??  My flat mat would just slip and I knew I would dump the thing and have half my curds on the floor.  Ended up molding some plastic mesh into "lids" and while it was a quick fix it worked.

I'm thinking about wire-cutting about a quarter-inch from the "rough" end and use the residual for the final coating.  Good idea or not??

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: 3rd Stilton (and testing some new stuff)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 02:57:35 AM »
John, what kind of pump is that for the siphon? I think I need something like that so I can stop spraying whey all over the floor when trying to get it started with a turkey baster!
And is it sterilizable?
Susan
Susan

John@PC

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:16:49 AM »
John, what kind of pump is that for the siphon? I think I need something like that so I can stop spraying whey all over the floor when trying to get it started with a turkey baster!
And is it sterilizable?
Susan

It's just a cheap one I got from Amazon.   It works ok (and can be steam sterilized) but I'm looking for one that's better quality.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »
Nice photo essay, John. Lots of things to like there. I was intrigued with the clear mould so that you can see the progress of the pressing. 8)

6.  Got ready for the 1st flip of the mold and realized how do you do this  :-\??  My flat mat would just slip and I knew I would dump the thing and have half my curds on the floor.
Yeah, I've been in similar situations where I started out with a broad idea of how things should work, but then reality reached up and threatened to slap me alongside my head when the moment actually arrived. Quick thinking and fortuituous inspiration resolved the issue, thank goodness. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 11:21:18 AM »
This was fourth day and time to "ice the cake".  Because of the lack of flipping (I presume) I had a few good-sized crevices.  Since I hadn't reserved curds for filling in I took a wire cutter and cut about 1/8 to 1/4" thick slice from the roughest end and used that for filling the large crevices.  Between this and using a butane torch to keep the spatula warm the spreading went very well (I did take my time - maybe 30 min. start to finish).  The final product weighed in at 5.4 lbs.   Plan to age 60 days then scrape outside and wire cut into 1" thick disks and wrap individually. 

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »
Nice job on smoothening!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »
Great job :) lots of nice crevasse's for P/R to grow lookin nummy ;D
Have another cheese :D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »
Thanks  :)!  I learned a lot from my earlier trys and took my time on this one.  All in all very happy with the 8" deep pan and 6 gal. make.  Next try will be to try to make two 3-lb tandem cheeses.  I need to restock my cultures though.

Spoons

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »
A cheese for you, John! I really like your setup. Now I'm thinking ALL cheese moulds should be transparent. Too cool!!!

John@PC

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2014, 12:55:21 AM »
Thanks Eric.  When I first started making cheese 3 yrs. ago I bought a very nice 6" dia. x 7" tall stainless steel mold with follower from a well known cheese equipment supply co. and paid about $100.  SS is popular, efficient and durable but is a bit opaque  ::).   Aside from being clear the 1/8" thick polycarbonate molds are light weight, less expensive and pretty much indestructible (and don't dent).   I get 6" dia. parent lengths from McMaster Carr and trim them to size and bandsaw out the followers.   Now that I've moved up to 6 gal. makes I'm thinking about going up to an 8" cylindrical "clear" mold and offering that on the PC website if anyone is interested.  By the way I didn't mention (I don't think) in my original post that I roughly measured the volume of the curd slab and used it to calculate the mold height I needed.  Turned out to be right at 10" tall so I made a mold to that size.

Geodyne

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »
Nice job on the smoothing indeed John - have a cheese for a lovely-looking stilton.

And thankyou for the link to the siphon. I've been looking for a whey-draining solution. I found a cheap similar siphon locally and have bought it to give it a whirl.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 03:15:13 AM »
Okay, the siphon came from Amazon, but no instructions..... How does this thing work anyway?
Susan
Susan

John@PC

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 08:36:18 PM »
Okay, the siphon came from Amazon, but no instructions..... How does this thing work anyway?
Susan
You want to tighten the red screw at the top and pump the bulb.  Once it starts up you can stop pumping and it should siphon.  If it stops there is either an air leak somewhere or an obstruction.  One thing that will help you is to cut the suction tube (at an angle with scissors) off so it's only as long as you need and that will help promote the siphoning.  I use a poly mesh screen to form a dam to keep the curds from the siphon tube. 

By the way, it's been 12 days so it was time to skewer the air holes.  I have never done a blue cheese this large and quickly realized how much harder it was to make the holes without breaking-out on the back side.  I use a skewer I made out of Delrin because it seemed to "stick" less than the knitting needle but it was still hard to push and pull through even if I warmed the skewer a bit.  Ended up "drilling" them and that seemed keep it from sticking so bad and made cleaner holes on the back side.  I know there is probably better advice here on the forum for skewering techniques but I had the cheese out and got impatient  :-[

jwalker

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 02:54:07 PM »
Ah yes.................the Binford 2000 variable speed cheese piercing tool. ;D

I can picture you now , Walking around the kitchen , wearing a hard hat , safety goggles , and a tool belt full of cheese making tools. ;D

A cheese to you for that !!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 10:20:39 PM »
What you don't do that jw? you must have the proper PPE you know.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/