Author Topic: Same process, different milks  (Read 1404 times)

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
Same process, different milks
« on: July 03, 2014, 07:55:21 AM »
Hi.

I made moz with two different fresh milks. Both raw.

Both acidified to 5.0 before heating and stretching. Everything was the same except one milk was Jersey, the other was Guernsey and friesianxjersey mix.  The jersey worked fine. (Top pic) The other didn't stretch. (Lower pic) Again, both batches achieved the same pH target for stretching.

Any suggestions about what happened?

Thanks. NV.

Alison

Re: Same process, different milks
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 12:17:32 PM »
Hi

I thought the target for mozz was 5.2-5.4? I tend not to use pH but heat a scrap of curd to stretch test it at 30 min intervals.

When I've rejected other raw cheeses during the make (eg blow), I recycle the curd to mozzarella and I have seen that slobby texture you have in the lower picture. I think it's when the curds become too acidic.

I have a trick for this that sometimes works: mix a little bit of bicarb (1/4 teaspoon for curd from 1.5l milk) in to the hot curd, let the curd cool down to room temp, then try again, I suggest heating in the microwave to make sure the curd don't fall apart in the hot water.     

regards
alison

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »
Thanks Alison. I did use a pH of 5.2, not 5.0 sorry. Didn't read my notes correctly. I think both over acidified and under acidified give the same sloppy result.

Alison

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:35:57 PM »
Hi

Oh ok I give up  ???

I'm surprised that different the milk sources changed the stretch. Was the milk from a bulk tank or from "single cow" source(s)? Did you notice any difference at the floc time (s)?

I've heard it said that science would be allot further along if scientists published their failures too.
Thanks for adding to the cheese (mystery).

regards
Alison

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
I've heard it said that science would be allot further along if scientists published their failures too.
I'm certainly not a scientist, but I believe there is value in knowing where others have failed as well as succeeded.

That's why I started Failures I Have Known. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.