Author Topic: Access to raw!  (Read 1997 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Access to raw!
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:38:14 PM »
It looks like I will get to obtain 4 to 5 gallons of raw cow milk on August 2. I am so excited!!  What to make? A cheddar I think!
Susan

Spoons

Re: Access to raw!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:54:04 PM »
sigh... officially jealous!  ;)

Alison

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 09:53:52 AM »
Hi

You are going to love the break, when I changed from store bought p/h to raw milk suddenly renneting was a breeze!

Do you know the farmer and will you be inspecting the milking parlour yourself? or will it be "from the bucket"?

regards
Alison

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
Raw milk is definitely the best for making cheese , especially if you know and trust the source.

My fist time with raw milk was not a pleasant experience , they both went bad , I'm thinking the milk was not handled or kept properly before I got it , it was from a friend of a friend , it was free though , they said they had excess.

Two four gallon makes out the door , I wish now I had pasteurized them first.

I now get my raw milk from a supermarket in Idaho , and it always works great.

If you know the source and trust them , use it raw , if you are unsure of the handling or keeping , you may want to consider low temp pasteurizing it first.

Anyway , congrats and good luck ! ;D

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 07:39:26 PM »
The source is a friend who makes cheese herself from the cow she milks. But she will not be able to use the milk herself that weekend!! I need to find out who is doing the milking then....
Susan

jwalker

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 08:57:29 PM »
I need to find out who is doing the milking then....

Maybe YOU are !!   :o ;D

Ever milk a cow before ?  ;D

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 04:54:35 AM »
No I never have had the opportunity to milk a cow or a goat. I am happy to try though. This is a Jersey cow. I have to get there at 7 am to do the milking, and the place is about 45 mins from home. I am wondering if the milk needs to be chilled for the ride home, or leave it at temp? Seems like chilling would be a better idea...
Susan

chevre au lait

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »
You can bring it home in a cooler with ice packs, but I'm betting with the volume you'll get relative to the ice packs, it will probably cool slowly at its own rate.  If you're going to use it right away, it might be close to the right temperature already.  If you're putting it in the fridge for later use, it will cool more quickly divided into smaller jars.
I'm also officially jealous!