Author Topic: Home Made Kraut  (Read 7830 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Home Made Kraut
« on: March 22, 2009, 05:00:53 AM »
Home Made Kraut (Not sour)

You have a mandolin it helps alot if not a sharp knife will do.

Anyway ... Kraut is as easy as it gets. 

1. Get yourself a few heads of cabbage - they were small so I got three
2. Wash them up and peel off the outer layers and any imperfections - you don't want any blemishes!
3. Cut it in half and cut a wedge in the center to remove the hard center core.
4. Some people throw the core in there and eat them like pickles - they do soften somewhat, but I throw them away because it makes it harder to compress the shredded cabbage.
5. Depending on the size of your mandolin you may want to quarter them - I do but I slice it by hand.
6. Shred up the cabbages in really thin strips
7. Grab a few loose handfuls and put it in the container. 
8. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of kosher salt or sea salt all over the layer, mix it up some and press it down tightly. 
9. Grab a few loose handfuls and put it in the container. 
10. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of kosher salt or sea salt all over the layer, mix it up some and press it down tightly. 
11. Do this until it's all in there and tightly packed. I use an old milk bottle to really smash it down. 12. Place a small plate, washes flat rock or anything that fits over the cabbage on top.
13. Place a zip lock bag on top of the plate on work it around so it covers most of the opening.
14. Fill the bag with water (don’t get any in the cabbage) until it fills the remaining cavity of you container and cover it. I have used a coffee can lid and cut an X across the top to let the gases leach out.
15. Put the cover on and put the cabbage I a cool dark place where the temperatures won’t get above say 75°F. 
If your using a crock put a layer of plastic wrap over the cover and put a heavy towel on top.
16. Check it everyday. The salt will suck the water out of your cabbage and make scummy water – you need to remove this scummy stuff. Put on clean rubber gloves (this is important the oil from your skin can make the kraut go bad!) remove the water bag and plate and scoop out the scummy stuff with a clean wooden spaghetti spoon without removing the brine water. If the plate of water bag gets moldy just remove the mold, wash the plate, replace the bag.
17. Recover the cabbage and continue doing this for about 3 weeks to a month.

An option some people like it so add dill pickle spices or dill seeds. ABout 1 tablespoon is enough but go by your own taste.

Fermentation of you kraut is just like sausage, beer, wine and cheese -  it is temperature dependant. So the length of time your kraut  will need to ferment can be estimated based on the temperature of the kraut.

if the temperature of the kraut is less than 55°F or higher than 76°F it will not ferment it’ll just rot! So find a cooler spot or put the container in a cooler.
if the temperature of the kraut is 75°F it will take about 3 weeks to complete.
if the temperature of the kraut is 70°F it will take about 4 weeks to complete.
if the temperature of the kraut is 55°F to 60°F it will take about 5 or 6 weeks to complete.
How do you know when it done? The cabbage is fermenting so it will make little bubbles while it’s “working” just like beer! When you tap the container and no more bubbles come to the top it’s done! Another method is to taste it. Some people like it really sour and others do not. When it reaches the level you want it's done!

What are you gonna do with all this kraut? You can freeze it (some say this destroys the stuff that makes it good for you) or can it. In either case you need to cook it!

Put all the kraut in a big pot and cook it stirring so it doesn’t burn on the bottom just long enough to bring it to a boil. 

To freeze kraut: after cooking let it cool and put it in freezer bags or containers and freeze. Vacuum  sealer bags are a plus here!

To can kraut: Sterilize your mason jars, lids and seals. Scoop the hot kraut into sterilized Mason jars wiping any drips and put on seals and caps. Process using Hot Water bath for 20 minutes.

Worlock

Re: Home Made Kraut
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
mmmmm Krout.... I love it!

wharris

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:32:12 PM »
That looks damn tasty.

Great,  now I am hungry...

Captain Caprine

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 09:00:14 PM »
Hi Debi.
I used to make kraut all the time but for some reason just stopped a year or two ago  (probably at my wife's insistance after a particularly expressive cabbage binge ;D).  Thanks for the reminder I'll have to make up a batch :)
CC

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 01:42:23 AM »
Lactic acid is good for canning veggies too. Just another way to use whey!  ;)

Worlock

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
Just happen to have some lactic acid laying around for cheese.... hmm....

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 01:54:31 AM »
Pour some of your whey over your cabbage. It'll ferment quicker and be higher in antioxidants.

Worlock

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 02:03:54 AM »
Serious Debi?  Have you tried this? Please share!!!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 02:21:30 AM »
Yes - it works well. Years before they had chemicals our grandparents used whey aka lactic acid as the pickling agent for canned foods.

Today they call it lacic acid-fermentation. I does not neccessarily require anything but salt. The reason your cabbage turns to kraut is because it is naturally high in lactic acid. When you slice the cabbages and then crush them down your releasing the lactic acid which then mixes wth the salt and begins to ferment - or pickle the cabbage. By adding a few tablespoons to the cabbage or pickles ot whatever your giving it a head start.

"Studies have shown that regular consumption of lacto-fermented vegetables helps in reestablishment and maintenance of beneficial intestinal flora, aids immune function, and may contain some anti cancer factors. These raw fermented vegetables aid digestion, relieve constipation and are associated with decreased allergies and infections.  Fermented vegetables are a source of vitamins, as well as enzymes, acetylcholine, many beneficial intestinal flora, and is an excellent source of a protective factor called DIM, which is lost by standard cooking methods. Raw unfermented cabbage and its relatives depress thyroid function. 

Lactofermentation is the process where lactobacilli organisms (naturally present on cabbages grown in fertile, organic well mineralized soils) convert the sugars and starches in the cabbage into lactic acid.  Lactic acid is the natural preservative present in sauerkraut and gives it its pleasantly tart flavor.  By adding high quality sea salt (we use Celtic sea salt) at 2% by weight of cabbage and excluding air, you create a favorable environment for the lactobacilli organisms to convert the sugars into lactic acid."
 by sarah Flack

Worlock

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 02:30:12 AM »
You my dear...pure genius.....

I've been wanting to figure out what to do with my whey and you've answered my prayers.  I love sour kraut!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 02:42:25 AM »
There are alot of things you can do with whey!

Baking, pancakes, and biscuits are my biggest way of using it but it's excelent to use in sausage making as well. especially "fermented" sausages like salami and peperoni. Soups and stews. Theres to much good stuff in there to throw it away or ... dump it in the garden. Tomatoes do seem to like it though.

Worlock

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 02:52:37 AM »
I was thinking how cool it might be to not only incorporate whey in something like Kraut, but also things that I'm used to fermenting.  I spent 2 tours in Korea and for them, fermented Cabbage is "Kim Chi"... very similar in the sour department, but very different in the taste dept....  I (we... my wife loves to help) make Kim Chi semi regularly, and I'm wondering if you can substitute whey in your cabbage recipe, if we cannot do the same for ours... The possibilities are really fun...

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2009, 03:15:39 AM »
I have 3 gallons of kimchi fermenting as we speak - should be ready in a week or two. I added some baby carrots and jalapenos but it's still my kimchi recipe ...

Worlock

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2009, 02:28:55 PM »
CT is only a few hours up the road...

That looks really really yummy!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »
Gotta bring some to work for my Commander too he loves the stuff. Great guy! Best man I've ever worked for but he's retiring in June ...  :(