Author Topic: Ashed bloomy semi-lactic  (Read 2167 times)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Ashed bloomy semi-lactic
« on: July 11, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »
My first and only bloomy semi-lactic was a disaster but having recently sampled some of the French varieties, I decided to give it another go. The recipe is basically Caldwell's with a couple of changes. I omitted the Geo because I didn't have any. To help to prepare the surface for the PC (in the absence of Geo) I decides to try ash.
The make went this way:
Day 1:
  - 2 litres of full cream, pasturised but unhomogenised milk were warmed to 22C.
  - 1/8 tsp of MM100 and 1/16 tsp of PC were sprinkled on top, left for a minute or two and then stirred in.
  - 2 drops of animal rennet, dissolved in about 15 ml of water were stirred in.
  - The vat was placed in an insulated container with lukewarm water to maintain the temperature and left overnight, apart from occasional adjustments to the temperature.
Day 2:
  - After 22 hrs the curds were ladelled into moulds and returned to the insulated container.
  - One was flipped after about 10 hours, but I decided not to flip the others, which were in pyramid moulds, at this stage.
Day 3: (Today)
  - All 3 were flipped, about 20 hours after moulding.
  - After another 4 hours, they were flipped back into the moulds and the bases sprinkled with salt. They were then sprinkled with finely ground charcoal.
  - 30 min on they were demoulded and the tops sprinkled with salt and charcoal. Total salt was approx 2% of the weight of the cheese.
  - The cheeses were placed, on a rack, in an almost sealed container in the cheese fridge at about 13C.

That's where I'm up to so far. Now it's just wait and see. If they work out I'll post an update. If not, I'll scuttle off under a rock and have a good cry (or just make a different cheese.)
- Andrew

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Ashed bloomy semi-lactic
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 04:12:03 AM »
Well...an interesting outcome.
It's just over two weeks since I made these. The white overcoat developed very quickly and they were starting to feel soft so time to open. I should have had a bucket handy. I've never come across a cheese like this and I was surprised that it could go to mush so quickly. I'm glad I didn't leave it any longer.
The taste? Quite good, actually. Very creamy (obviously) with a hint of ammonia, but not too much.
The rind is firm and somewhat nutty. Overall, I think I'd put this down as a success, although it's not quite what I expected.
The only question is, do I eat it or drink it?
- Andrew

Mermaid

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 04:47:55 PM »
Which strain of PC did you choose ? I make this cheese often and have tried many PC's. I find that some ripen th cheese way too fast while others ripen the cheese more evenly. For only two weeks that's sure seems like a lot of ripening!!

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:09:24 AM »
Thanks, Mermaid. Your experiences with different strains are interesting - not a variable I'd considered.
I have checked the supplier's website but there is, unfortunately, no information there about the strain which they sell.
I haven't tried this one again although I think about giving it another go occasionally. I'm afraid it's a case of "So many cheeses, so little time."
- Andrew

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 02:19:16 AM »
I have found that ripening bloomies at a lower temperature around 45-46 deg. F (7-8 deg. C) seems to work better. It slows down the ripening and makes it more controllable. The strain of PC can also have an effect as well as the charcoal/ash. The charcoal/ash promotes a better growing environment for the PC by making the surface less acidic.

Susan

Frodage

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 03:52:47 AM »
That is one luscious cheese, my friend! A cheese for you!

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:32:57 AM »
Thanks Susan and Jim.
Next time I may try a lower temperature, perhaps even ~3C. if so I will definitely post it.
- Andrew