Author Topic: Havarti problem  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Havarti problem
« on: July 12, 2014, 03:13:08 AM »
My first havarti, started about 2 1/2 weeks ago, has developed a problem. There are a number of cracks and mould spots on the outside of the wax.
I think that the problem may be that I waxed it too soon. I waxed it after 3 days as the surface seemed dry and it was starting to develop surface cracks. It may still be leaking whey but I'm not sure if that would cause the wax to crack.
I'm thinking that I need to remove the wax, leave it to dry for a few days and then re-wax.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
- Andrew

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Havarti problem
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 03:42:19 AM »
Your thoughts are exactly what I would suggest. Take the wax off and clean it well - salt and vinegar?
I have used olive oil rub to try and limit the cracking with some benefit.
Susan
Susan

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »
this is why I hate wax.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:50:32 AM »
Thanks Susan, Tomer.
I have de-waxed and cleaned with the vinegar and salt. I'll let it dry for a few days and see if it looks like cracking. If so, I'll try the oil. I was a little surprised that it did crack as the weather here has been very wet recently.
I'll persevere with the wax at this stage. I've got my first cheddar which I'll wax at the same time. While I take your point, Tomer, in this case I think that the problem was not so much the wax but that the mug that put it on applied it too thinly on the sides.
- Andrew