Author Topic: Interesting cheese cave idea  (Read 6695 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Interesting cheese cave idea
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »

Quote from: Oudekaas
My cave in Brooklyn seems to be rather sterile these days since I installed a Coolbot about a month ago.
Although the Coolbot keeps the cave at the desired temperature (56F) and the relative humidity is at 90%, I am afraid the constant air-movement created by the Coolbot has chased out all the microorganisms. At least, this is my guess.

Piques me to wonder, how much air movement is "too much?"

I believe this is the issue with mine as well.  Hard alpines are doing as expected, but rebs are not developing any evidence of linens (though yeasts are apparently having a blast).  I've heavily seeded with highly active/aromatic linens and other coryn's - but nothing.  Interesting that the ultrasonic humidifiers have plenty of linens development inside the wells, but despite covering wood, walls, ceilings, door, cheeses, even, with a heavily seeded linens blend, nothing on these rebs and very slight on the hard alpines.

Rebs taste great due to other development, highly proteolyzed, but again, no linens. 

I've switched my A/C to energy saver mode and re-installed the air sock I fashioned out of PVC.  Will see. 
- Paul

Oude Kaas

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »
Paul, I happen to stumble on this post. When confronted with this issue I realized I needed less airflow in the room. On most ACs the fan is always on but I had heard of units of which the fan only works when the compressor is on. As I wasn't ready to lay out more money for a new unit which would have this feature, I thought it may be possible to modify the unit I had. So I found the electric schematic of the unit, posted this on some electric forums with the question what to chance in this so the fan would only blow when the compressor is on. Within a few days I had several replies with the answer. I opened the unit, and did as I was told, a simple procedure, and voila, success! The conditions in the room improved rapidly.

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 10:53:27 PM »
Fantastic, thanks, Jos.  I actually do have an energy saver mode, so that the A/C kicks on as you describe - the fan only kicks on when the compressor kicks on (the unit also has a delay, which is nice, so as not to fry my compressor turning on and off and burning out).  Kudos to you for implementing such a cool workaround. 

I also installed a very primitive sock system, so knock on wood, the air flow is even gentler:

-and yes, indeed, my "ductsock" is actually a line of....socks, toes cut out.  Brings a whole new meaning to stinky feet.

I'm encouraged to hear of your improvements.  I'm eager to see what happens now. 

I still get tons from your blog, this subject included.  Thank you again and all my best, my friend. 
- Paul