Author Topic: Another big Caerphilly style  (Read 2010 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Another big Caerphilly style
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »
When I re-look at Caldwell's book I think this make style is sort of in-between a stirred curd cheddar and a caerphilly.

This is my 4th time using 4 gallons of milk in the Avantco food warmer, and the second time using John@PC's temp controller. This time I put the sensor probe halfway down the inside of the unit in the water, instead of nearer to the heating unit in the bottom of the warmer. This made the differential between the milk temp and the water temp much smaller. But again I was surprised at the 'creep" in temperature. I did not chart the time, but my milk was at 84 and my target was 86 to 88. The water temp was showing 90 even with the controller at 88, and there wasn't much progression toward the goal temp. So I turned the temp controller from 88 up to 92 for a relatively short time to kick it back on and as the milk started to increase in temp, I turned the controller back to 90. The milk went from 84 to 89 in a relatively short amount of time. So I need to learn the use of the controller a little better.

Other than trying to better manage the temperature, the make went quite well. I used Kazu rather than 4001 for a starter because when I went to the freezer, I was out of 4001. I also was given a cup of raw goats milk, so I threw that in with the other milk. Acidity developed at a steady slow manageable pace. Flocculation was a nice 14.5 mins. I cut back on the multiplier from 3.5 to 3 because the last few times the cheese was almost too moist and sticking to the knife on slicing.
I am trying to make spread sheets for my makes just for fun, so I can have a fill in the blanks rather than a narrative to follow.  So one attachment is the spreadsheet for the make. The image of the cheese looks less than smooth due to the wrinkles from the cheesecloth, but actually the knit is very nice. I plan on aging 6 weeks due to the raw milk in there, though I drank a bit of the milk without trouble....
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:12:30 PM by scasnerkay »
Susan

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: Another big Caerphilly style
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 01:14:39 AM »
Oh how I wish for Raw milk  :'(  what a nice looking Cheese.  A cheese for your efforts.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Another big Caerphilly style **tasting notes**
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 10:01:53 PM »
My father's 90th birthday and I got to bring cheese! I learned my love of cheese from him, though I won't go so far as Limburger... At any rate, this caerphilly turned out very well. My first "natural rind" make, aging all of 9 weeks in the new cave with upwards of 90 % humidity. Lets just say there was no problem with cracking! It developed a nice sort of felty natural rind. Weight 3 # 3 oz. Rind not too thick, some enjoyed eating the rind. Very good light cheddar flavor with nice tang. Melting very nicely. Able to be sliced thin without crumbling. Minimal mechanical openings.

If you want to open or copy the make sheet, it is the first attachment, above the images.
Susan

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 01:42:01 AM »
That's a great looking caerphilly!  Sounds like it does all the right things too.  A cheese to you. 

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 03:03:44 AM »
Oh that is just the best lookin Cheese.  I love Caerphilly and there is always one in the fridge or in the cave. AC4U from me as well.  Wonderful !!

- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 01:46:27 AM »
I have been using a "draining bag" from Artisan Geek. Works very well instead of cheesecloth - but you can still see the lines of the cloth in the cheese. Thanks for the thumbs up!
Susan