Author Topic: Hickory Smoked Maple Flavored Bacon from Pork Bellies  (Read 8249 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Hickory Smoked Maple Flavored Bacon from Pork Bellies
« on: March 22, 2009, 05:03:19 AM »
Hickory Smoked Maple Flavored Bacon from Pork Bellies

Cut the bellies into nice squared off pieces that will be about what you might want to use. Some people keep them whole but I like piece that are easy to work with. This belly which was 14 pounds I cut into three pieces. Save the scraps for Baked beans, clam chowder or anything you might use salt pork for.

To making regular bacon or belly bacon you need to brine or pickle them. You can purchase curing packages from various suppliers or make you own. I choose to make my own.

1 gallon of ice water at 38-40 degrees 
1  cup powdered dextrose (corn sugar)
1/2 cup real maple syrup
1 cup  Kosher salt or Sea Salt
* Prague powder #1

·  NOTE: You may use Instacure, Morton’s Tender Quick or Prague Powder #1 just be sure to follow the manufactures instructions on how much to use based on the weight of the meat you intend to cure!

Mix all your ingredients and make sure they are dissolved well.  Place meat in the brine and pump your bellies with brine to about 8% of green weight.  After weighting and reweighting the bacon several times this seems to come out to about the same as injecting the all over meat at intervals of about 2 inches apart.

Pumping is simply injecting the meat with the brine water. 

Chill at 38-40 degrees for about 5 or 6 days. Make sure the meat is fully submerged in the water. The best way I know of to do this is to either put a plate with something heavy on the meat or use a vacuum sealer – which is what I do. Turn the meat every few days.

After about 5 to 7 days remove the meat and rinse it really well under luke warm water. Pat the meat dry with paper towels and start you smoker while it dries out some. Bring the smoker up to 130°F to 135°F with the dampers wide open and no wood. If your smoker doesn’t have dampers prop open the lid. Place the water pan in the smoker but do not add water – this will just act as a heat shield for the meat.

Once temperatures are stable place the meat in the smoker and allow the surface of the meat to dry for about an hour. This is important that the surface be dry because the smoke will not penetrate wet meat evenly (if at all) and your bacon end up looking blotchy with uneven color. 

After the surfaces of the meat have become dry close the dampers to 1/4 open or close the lid and add wood to smoke  the meat until internal temp hits 128°F.  Don’t go beyond this or you be cooking the meat.

I’ve decided that I personally prefer to smoke my bacon using a 50-50 mix of Hickory and Apple occasionally throwing  in some Cherry or using all Cherry for the last several hours. It gives it a nice mahogany color with a slightly sweeter aroma. Orange wood also adds nice color to the bacon.

Reduce temperature of your smoker and smoke your bacon until it turns a  nice reddish-brown. When the color looks right you, remove the bacon and chill at least overnight.  Don’t try eating it right away or you may be disappointed. It needs to firm up and let the flavors meld.

You find it much easier to slice bacon when it’s chilled almost to freezing – stiff but not frozen solid. This will be the best bacon you ever ate - and it's never greasy!

Here the last batch right out of the smoker.

duaneleann

Re: Hickory Smoked Maple Flavored Bacon from Pork Bellies
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:20:51 AM »
I am new here, and have been lurking and learning.

I have a quick question about this recipe. I am curious if you have ever experimented substituting another sugar for the dextrose.  Or is dextrose used because it will not burn as quickly when fried, or something along that line.
 I will be working with a lot of pork next week and I would love to try this recipe, but I don't have any dextrose on hand. 
Your finished product looks awesome!

padams

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »
Debi, my mouth is watering!!!!  ;D

clherestian

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 03:22:28 PM »
Debi,
I have a question for you since you seem to be an expert on smoking.  :D

I am thinking of building this smoker:

http://bbq.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&zTi=1&sdn=bbq&cdn=food&tm=11&f=10&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalpit/bigbaby/build_big_baby_metal_bbq_pit.shtml

Do you have any thoughts on that smoker or see any drawbacks to it?

I may also do something simpler and make a vertical smoker from a single 55 gallon drum.

Offline sominus

• Back Crackin' Needle Pusher
  • Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Insert witty comment here
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 03:24:01 PM »
Debi:

I've read a few sources on curing bacon, and all of them use a dry cure of salt, prague #1, sugar...  Do you find the brining a better solution? 

-Michael
--
Michael Dow

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 03:59:59 AM »
I prefer a wet brine if you will and inject it into the meat every few inches, then wait 7 to 10 days. I find it's more reliable. It penetrates better leaving no uncured/missed spots and it doesn't get as salty. I am not a huge fan of salty foods. I also find the meat is not as dry. In the days before refrigeration you didn't have a choice - now we do. I've done it both ways - this is my personal preference.

Minamyna

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 05:44:52 AM »
Just to chime in, I was buying so called nitrate free bacon (sometimes labeled as uncured) at the grocery store, however when I was looking at how to cure sausages I read a number of articles saying that the celery salt they use in these bacons are have some nitrate ( or nitrites I can't remember which-- chem is not my favorite subject), but not nearly enough to do a proper job of preserving the bacon.

These articles, and commenters from man people who smoked their own stuff seemed to be of the opinion that the risk of nitrate/ites is grossly overstated. I was wondering if you had an opinion?

Thanks
BTB it looks amazing and I am jealous.

deb415611

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:15:50 AM »
I'll do a quick reply with my opinion/thoughts but I wonder if John should break this discussion out into it's own thread as to not take away from Debi's awesome bacon post.

I make my own bacon and use cure #1 to cure it.  I eat very little processed food and feel any risk is minimal.  I haven't studied the subject but some of what I have read said the risk is caused by a reaction with high heat.  I"m not sure what constitutes high heat but with homemade bacon you have to cook it lower at a lower temp than you do with "normal" store bacon. 

If you decide you are comfortable & start making your own bacon you will never go back to store bought. 

Offline sominus

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 02:23:44 PM »
I tried to find pork belly here in my little corner of metropolis and struck out...

Anyone know where, in the Houston area (preferably southeastish/Galveston), I could get some?  I'd dearly love to try and makin' bacon...
--
Michael Dow

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 02:13:53 AM »
Debi,
I have a question for you since you seem to be an expert on smoking.  :D

I am thinking of building this smoker:

http://bbq.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&zTi=1&sdn=bbq&cdn=food&tm=11&f=10&tt=14&bt=0&bts=0&zu=http%3A//bbq.netrelief.com/pits/metalpit/bigbaby/build_big_baby_metal_bbq_pit.shtml

Do you have any thoughts on that smoker or see any drawbacks to it?

I may also do something simpler and make a vertical smoker from a single 55 gallon drum.

Sorry I forgot to answer this before. I've never used one like this but it looks like it would work well.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 02:17:41 AM »
I tried to find pork belly here in my little corner of metropolis and struck out...

Anyone know where, in the Houston area (preferably southeastish/Galveston), I could get some?  I'd dearly love to try and makin' bacon...

You will probably have to buy them from a packing house or a butcher. I get mine from a chinese grocery store.

Amatolman

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 01:12:26 PM »

You will probably have to buy them from a packing house or a butcher. I get mine from a chinese grocery store.

I also found mine in an Asian grocery store.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 01:20:17 AM »
You should have seen me the first time trying to explain with hand signals what I wanted! LOL Now I walk in they all laugh and say "proak bewry rady!" I think I may be the only one that spends more than $10 at a time too.

deb415611

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:38:28 AM »
The closest grocery store to me carries pork belly (and feet & snouts & many other items).  The meat manager always gets it in for the weekend and if you wait until Saturday afternoon to go get some it's usually gone. 

Offline sominus

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 01:49:17 PM »
My family established a new "tradition" a few years ago where, on Christmas morning, we all go out for Dim Sum in Chinatown here in Houston (its a bit of a drive, but there's no traffic...)  The restaurant is near the "Hong Kong Market" which is *huge* -- I remember seeing pork pieces (heads, feet... who knows what else?) there, so I guess I'll make the trek out there some day and see what they have..

Thanks for the tip!
--
Michael Dow