Author Topic: Hello from Portland, Oregon, USA  (Read 759 times)

JDRay

Hello from Portland, Oregon, USA
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:51:07 PM »
Hello.

I'm a slightly-better-than-beginner cheesemaker who has successfully produced quite a bit of mozzarella, some chevre, feta, ricotta, and one failed batch of Cheddar.  I recently "discovered" a spot in my house, in a protected corner right in front of an A.C. vent, that should be a good spot to put a cooler-style "cheese cave".  I need to do some tests to see what temperature the interior of the cooler would stay at, but it seems like a good spot.  If it works out, I can start making aged cheeses, particularly soft, mold-ripened ones.

My wife and I are big fans of goat and sheep's milk cheeses.  A local commercial dairy produces organic un-homogenized cow's milk we can buy in half-gallon cartons at the store (expensive at ~$6 per half gallon, but right now we need to pay for convenience).  Today I'm going to attempt some sort of cheese using it.  I bought two gallons, plus a half gallon of goat's milk.  If anyone has a recommendation for a recipe, particularly a blended goat/cow cheese, please speak up.

Cheers.

JD

Digitalsmgital

Re: Hello from Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »
You can make goudas with blended of course, any cheese-style really, but fat content is one limiting factor for copying any style. Whatever make you try may turn out different than what you were aiming for initially, but that's ok.

Love Portland, that is a great town for music and eats! Welcome!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 05:00:31 PM »
Welcome from Port Orchard Washington.  Look forward to seeing the results of your foray into mixed milks.  That would be interesting to try.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

MooKit

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »
Hello and welcome :D 

I'm new here as well too, I like that you want to jump on in and mix it up.  I hope it works out for you well and keep us posted!