Author Topic: My 2nd Munster  (Read 3372 times)

JeffHamm

My 2nd Munster
« on: July 20, 2014, 05:40:34 AM »
Giving this another go.  I forgot to check my make notes when I picked up hte milk and didn't get the 2 litres of cream line, so it's a bit short of fat (not much), and more importantly, the curds were a bit weaker.  I should have let them sit before stirring as the curds broke up a bit, but not too badly.  It's coming together ok and hopefully by tomorrow when the "pressing" is done, the rind will be nice and tight.  Will hopefully get a good b.linens rind on this one.  Fingers crossed.

Munster (200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes) Sunday, July 19, 2014
{ 2 Litres Silver Top (creamline 4% fat, 3.1% protein) should have this and 3 of the Standard to get 0.87:1 P:F Ratio – target 0.88:1 but this time just have 5 L standard}
5 Litres Homebrand Standard (3.2% fat, 3.1% protein)
1 ice cube buttermilk; 1 ice cube crème fraiche
1/32nd tsp B. Linens
1/8th tsp CaCl2 in egg cup water
Rennet (0.8 mls 280 IMCU Calf rennet)
Salt
brine for washing (6 g salt to 194g water)

1)   Add CaCl2 while setting up
2)   Add culture and b.linens to milk and warm to 32 C (8:13 35.0 C)
3)   Ripen 15 minutes (8:13 - 8:28 33.0 C)
4)   Add rennet (8:28:00 floc time 8:44:30 = 16m 30s 4x floc = 66m 00s cut time 9:34:00)
5)   Cut to 1.25 cm cubes (9:36 - 9:40)
6)   Ensure temp is 32.0 C ( 31.0 C raised back to 33.0 C)
7)   stir gently for 15 minutes (9:40 - 9:55)
8)   Let curds settle, cover and rest 30 minutes (9:55 - 10:25)
9)   Drain whey to level of curds, then gentle transfer curds to cloth lined colander
10)   Drain 30 minutes (10:33 - 11:03)
11)   Ladle soft curds into mould (but press them lightly to ensure they are spread evenly – used large coffee cup ¾ full of water) and drain 24 hours (flip several times over this period and remove any whey – keep cheese above the whey (11:15 – flipped 1:15, fusing ok, some larger cavities; 4:00 - 7:50 – ??:?? - ?:?? - ?:?? – ??:?? pm - 5:50 am – 6:15 pm – 824g 15.8 x 4.2 = 823 = 1.00 g/cm3)
12)   If cheese still too soft to handle, continue to drain/flip for 6-7 hours more (??:?? - ??:??)
13)   Sprinkle each face with ¼ tsp salt up to 1 tsp for larger cheese (6.25” tomme mould, used ½ tsp each face – used ½ tsp for this one )
14)   Place cheese in ripening container and ripen at 13 C, 85% humidity (Mon, Jul 21, 2014)
15)   Flip cheese daily, remove any whey until no more released (about ? days; was dry  day ?)
16)   Start washing every 2nd day (or alternating faces each day) for 2 weeks (smaller cheeses) to 3 weeks (larger cheeses).  Orange smear should start to form after 10 days or so. (Started washing Jul ??, 2014 AM/PM).
17)   Can be eaten at this point, or continue to ripen up to 3 months (gets stronger the longer you continue to ripen it).
18)   Rind should be soft and moist, but not sticky.  Once the rind is where you want it, wrap in parchment paper and store in regular fridge to extend.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:41:16 PM by JeffHamm »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: My 2nd Muenster
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »
Alright, I'll be watching this one with interest, Jeff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

Re: My 2nd Muenster
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 07:16:38 AM »
Ok, out of the press now.  Weighed in at 824g, and measured 15.8 x 4.2, for a volume of 823 cm3, for a density of 1.00g/cm3.  This one weighs about the same as the first but hasn't compressed as much.  It's quite a bit cooler here now (it's winter in NZ and we've been having a lot of cool weather and rain), that may have affected how well it knitted.  There's a fair few cracks and openings for mould, but I'm hoping it will smooth out when the washing starts.  I'll try to smooth them over and fill them in at least.  Anyway, it's in the cave with the tomme now (which picked up it's own wild b.linens, which are quite orange but not smelly).  I'm expecting it to shed a fair amount of whey over the next few days, so lot's of ripening box wiping ahead.  Fun stuff.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

Re: My 2nd Munster
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 01:06:15 AM »
This cheese is quite a bit moister than the previous makes (one done as a brie, one as a munster).  Still wet on the downside both morning and evening, which I pat dry with paper towel.  Also, it's quite fragile as a result, very "floppy" and it will tear if I'm not careful.  Hoping it will start to dry out a bit and firm up.  There is some colour starting to form at least.  Things are progressing, and so far, no major mould issues.

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »
This is a lot softer than the previous makes, which I think is primarily due to omitting the creamline milk (which always gives me a firmer curd).  This cheese has lost height and gained width, but isn't (yet) threatening to turn into a bag of liquid.  Getting some colour around the edge now, and the washing is brining up a schmeir.  Some cracks have formed due to the softness of the cheese (when I picked it up it would wobble and bend, and it sort of tore in a couple places - so far no expansions on those).  As long as it retains a solid state, we should have a nice result. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 01:40:55 PM »
As long as it retains a solid state, we should have a nice result. 
Geez, always with the conditions...! ::)

Sounds like you're having fun with this one, Jeff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 06:10:51 PM »
When making predictions, always have a way out of having to admit you were wrong!

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 07:07:22 PM »
Bit of wild blue starting to cause problems.  Will have to cut this soon.  Gave it a wash with some brine today to see if we can knock it back but the rind is a bit wrinkled from geo, so hard to clean.  Won't be long now I don't think.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 06:39:50 AM »
As I suspected, it was time.  Cut into this today after work.  The cheese is quite soft and very moist and weighs in at 706g.  The rind has developed nicely and the wild blue mould hasn't caused too much of a problem just yet, so the rind is still edible.  A hit with Vanessa and my 7 year old daughter! But I like it too! (starting to sound like an Irish Spring commercial from my youth)  Anyway, as this isn't even a month old yet, it is still quite mild, but has a decent flavour.  Vanessa described it as a strong Brie type.  Next time I'll make sure I use the cream line milk in this make as the curds are stronger, which is important to get it to age out.  Will make this again for sure.

- Jeff

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 03:01:25 PM »
Good looking cheese Jeff, I will have to try one of theese you make them look so gooooood.
AC4U ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 11:58:25 PM »
A hit with Vanessa and my 7 year old daughter! But I like it too! (starting to sound like an Irish Spring commercial from my youth)
:D 

Ah, sweet success. Kudos, Jeff. Have a cheese, sir!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 12:21:15 AM »
Thanks for the cheeses guys!  Shared some at work today.  So far all positive reviews.  Yum! :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 07:50:18 AM »
Finished this off the other day.  Had to keep ahead of the wild blue that was developing and just made it.  Was quite nice.  Will definitely make this again.