Author Topic: Boule (From Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day)  (Read 31844 times)

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Boule (From Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day)
« on: March 22, 2009, 05:19:35 AM »
Boule (From Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day)

3 cups lukewarm water about 100°F (or better yet warmed whey from your cheese)
1-1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (1-1/2 packets)
2-1/2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoons kosher salt
6-1/2 cups flour (any kind will do)
corn meal for sliding the dough

Add water, yeast and salt in a 5 quart, food grade, plastic sealable but not air tight container

Mix in flour all at once until uniform. Don’t knead! It should be very wet and loose.

Cover with lid (not air tight) and allow the dough to rise at room temperature until it begins to collapse or flatten on top. This will take 2 to 5 hours.

Refrigerate overnight before using.

----------------------------

SUGGESTION FROM GBOYD:
I use a variation of the same boule recipe that Debi was writing about in the other thread. I mix flour and water and starter in a very water mixture and let it sit for a couple hours to get the yeast populations up. Then I add more flour to form a sticky dough. I let this sit for an hour at room temperature, then put it in the frig. When I want to make a loaf, I pull off a piece, let it sit for an hour and bake it.

Now I do this because I don't want to be spending 40 cents a packet on store-bought yeast, not for a sourdough taste. If I wanted that taste to develop, I would leave the yeast and flour liquid much longer to get sour.

------------------------------

Sprinkle a pizza peel with corn meal to prevent the dough from sticking.

Sprinkle the top of the dough lightly with flour. Pull and cut off a 1 pound hunk of dough using a serrated knife. This is about the size of a grapefruit and shape adding just enough flour so it doesn’t stick to your hands. Stretch the dough from all sides and tuck all ends under forming a ball.

Rest the dough on the pizza peel for about 40 minutes.

20 minutes before baking heat the oven to 450°F with a baking stone on the middle rack. Place an empty broiling pan on another shelf.

Dust and slash the top of the loaf about 1/4 inch deep.

After the 20 minute pre-heat slip the dough onto the baking stone and pour about 1 cup of hot water into the broiling pan and bake about 30 minutes. If the oven isn’t up to temperature yet don’t worry about it.

The bread is done when it’s nicely browned and firm on top. When you remove the bread it will make crackling noises. Let it cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.

This is a wonderful dough for making crusty French dinner rolls! With each day the flavor of the bread changes somewhat – tasting more and more like a sourdough. The dough should be used within 14 days. Theoretically one loaf a day. These people apparently don’t eat a lot of bread though – I ate the first loaf by myself they are tiny. I recommend making either rolls or double the grapefruit size or you’ll be starved for bread! 

Here's I few things I used the dough for. Great stuff!

If you like Rye bread:

3 cups lukewarm water about 100°F
1-1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (1-1/2 packets)
3 tablespoons kosher salt
3 cups flour (any kind will do)
1-1/2 cups Wheat flour 
1-1/2 cups Dark Rye flour 
corn meal for sliding the dough
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 05:45:16 PM by DeejayDebi »

Tea

Re: Boule (From Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a Day)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:26:17 PM »
Many thanks for this.  We make bread every day, so this might be a nice change.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 01:45:51 AM »
This one is so easy you won't know your doing it. Your supposed to be able to make bread everyday for two weeks but I only get about 5 days out of it. I don't think the guy that wrote that book eats much bread. His loaves are barely a snack!

Your welcome!

Ariel301

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 02:37:44 AM »
Ooh, that looks yummy. I will have to try it; we only eat homemade breads.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 05:01:53 AM »
This is by far the easiest and most baked bread in my house and so easy to convert to any flavor you want.

Stuart

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 03:08:19 AM »
I made this bread tonight. I used whole wheat flour and otherwise followed the instructions. It didn't rise that well and baked to be too thick. Really "hearty." I'm going to try it again with white flour. I used whey instead of water. Maybe I should try more yeast?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:28:17 AM »
Did you make it and bake it all the same day? It's like sour dough you make it ahead and then grab handfuls and bake it every day with supper.

I have use white, wheat, rye and pumpernickle flours with this recipe and it always comes out feather light like in the photos.

Don't play with the dough either. Grab it fold under, it let it rise and bake it

Stuart

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »
I baked it the next day. I'm going to try again with white flour. It didn't rise much after initially mixed.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 10:27:11 PM »
Did you bake the whole batch at once? You only need a handful about the size of a baseball to make a small loaf or a few buns.

Stuart

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:30:30 PM »
Should I have a LOT of it after letting it initially rise? because It only increased in volume probably 10%. And yes I baked all of it. One was maybe grapefruit size, the other two baseball size. Very dense.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 01:30:39 AM »
Something went very wrong!

It should give you a fairly fluid gloppy stuff like a thick pancake batter but light and fluffy. I will look way to wet but that's a good thing.

After leaving it sit over night it makes bubbles and kind of smells funny - like sourdough smells. By the end of the week you should have made 5 to 7 loaves of bread. Each one more sourdough like.

You should have gotten close to a gallon of this really light fluffy stretchy sticky glop. You just grab a big handful with floured hands, fold the ends under and let it rise again. A large handful will make a bread just a bit smaller than a football and you can blow it off the table once baked.

Stuart

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 01:55:29 AM »
You let it sit overnight in the fridge, right?

Can I use any type of yeast? I used the packets that my grocery store had, "active yeast" or whatever. 

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 02:11:34 AM »
The first day I sit it on top of the refrigerator most of the day. In any case room temperature lightly covered. It needs to breathe but no drafts.

"Cover with lid (not air tight) and allow the dough to rise at room temperature until it begins to collapse or flatten on top. This will take 2 to 5 hours" It'll blow up like a bunch of tiny ballons and then pop.

THEN you can put it in the fridge overnight.

You can see all the litle holes and how light it is in this picture

Stuart

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 09:10:20 PM »
Should regular, not "self-rising" flour work? And is "active dry yeast" okay? I want to try again!

cmharris6002

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 10:39:24 PM »
Good grief Debi!! I made this last week after reading about it on your web site and it was soooo good ;D

For years I have been tediously laboring for days over my artisan breads,   This method easily produces a wonderful Pane Rustica style boule. Thanks for sharing.

Christy