Author Topic: Hi from Van Horn  (Read 829 times)

Far West Texas Teacher

Hi from Van Horn
« on: July 25, 2014, 04:13:07 AM »
I am a culinary arts teacher in Van Horn, Texas looking for some advice on how to make mozzarella so I could spread the process into a two day time period. Would it be possible to add the rennet to the warmed milk, then do the curd cutting, heating and stretching the next day? My classes are 45 minutes long, so there's not enough time to do the entire process in one class period.

Spoons

Re: Hi from Van Horn
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »
Hi welcome to the boards.

You can stop when the curds are drained. Once drained you can wrap the curd mass in the fridge and proceed to the stretching part the following day. You might have time doing this with a "quick mozz" recipe using citric acid as the acidifier.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 12:00:07 AM »
Welcome on board. You may find this useful:
http://www.dairyfoodsconsulting.com/recipes_Direct_Acidified_Fresh_Mozzarella.shtml
The recipe here is for the quick, direct-acid, method which might suit your class times best. If you wanted to try the traditional method, Gianaclis Caldwell's book seems talks about refrigerating the curds overnight and this seems to be in reference to the traditional recipe. (I haven't made a mozzarella, so I can't talk from experience.)
- Andrew

MooKit

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 11:26:25 PM »
Lets see 45 min and 2 days hmm...

well you can try doing 2 separate takes on the process, sort of like on cooking shows where already something is done ahead of time.  Also you can show and discuss any differences in the batches and talk about what has happened. Hope this works for you.