Author Topic: Graysalchemy's Madchester Sauce AKA Worcestershire Sauce  (Read 1743 times)

graysalchemy

Graysalchemy's Madchester Sauce AKA Worcestershire Sauce
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:34 AM »
As my name suggests I like to do a bit of alchemy whether it be brewing (my main endeavours) or in the kitchen with my baking and cooking.

Here is my worcester sauce recipe I did a few months back. I did think of doing marmite (vegimite)  but as that takes about three gallons of yeast slurry and 3 weeks of simmering in a big pot to make a cup full of marmite, I thought better of that and came up with this.

Madchester Sauce.

* 500ml of GA's Stout Beersamic vinegar ( Fruit Flys made vinegar from a 10 gallon batch of stout for me a few years ago)
* 100m lMalt extract ( I didn't have any mollases)
* 100ml soy sauce
* 50g dried tamarind (look for it in the Asain supermarkets, I actually found it in the UK in the world food aisle in Asda)
* 1 Tablespoon brown mustard seeds
* 1 teaspoon whole cloves
* 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
* 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
* 1/2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
* 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 Small onions, chopped
* 6 green cardamom pods, crushed
* 1/2 Teaspoon of Chilli Powder
* 3 smashed, peeled garlic cloves
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 100g Sugar

Well with ingredients assembled I first heated the vinegar in a pan and added everything bar the Sugar. I boiled it for about five minutes then turned of the heat.

The sugar is heated in a seperate non stick frying pan to caramalise get it as dark as you can. Once this is done you need to add sugar very carefully to the rest of the mix. I wasn't careful and ended up with molten sugar syrup lava all over the Hob.

After cleaning the kitchen from top to toe I let it cool in the pan ( well I transfered to a clean pan so as to clean the pan before everything got hardened on.  :lol:  :lol: )

Some of you Worcestershire sauce aficionado's will notice I haven't added any anchovies, well as i said this is an approximation not a clone and anyone who knows the Hendersons Yorkshire sauce doesn't have anchovies in it. Anyway I was planning  on giving some of it to a vegi friend so no anchovies.

It was left in the fridge in a jar with all the spices for 3-4 months in the fridge

and then strained and bottled.

At first it tasted like there was too much cinnamon in it but  8 months later it is tasting really good, and like the real thing it clings to the bottle. Definitely worth a go  :)

Digitalsmgital

Re: Graysalchemy's Madchester Sauce AKA Worcestershire Sauce
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:20:28 AM »
I must say, I admire your enthusiasm!  :)

Little else did I understand.  :(

We do enjoy a bit of Worcestershire sauce here in the states, but to make your own suggests it is more than a condiment. Or is worcester sauce different?

Brewing an ale or beer would get my attention more than this...help me to understand! I do devote as much attention to hot peppers and salsas.

graysalchemy

Re: Graysalchemy's Madchester Sauce AKA Worcestershire Sauce
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »
Thankyou for that.

People ask why did I make it and the simple answer is because I can  ;D

I use it in cooking more than anything else though I do have it on certain foods as a condiment.

I would have to say that brewing beer even doing All grain brewing is far far easier than making cheese. Your beer will turn out pretty much as you planned as long as you keep everything sterile, keep the beer fermenting between 18-21c. Great fun as well.

I will post up details of my next brewday in a few weeks.