Author Topic: Caerphilly Number 4  (Read 1523 times)

Rizzo

Caerphilly Number 4
« on: July 27, 2014, 11:18:27 PM »
Recipe from 200 East Cheeses

I wanted to make another Caerphilly, but I also wanted some cheese curd to make a Yorkshire Curd Tart**,  so I upped my usual 8 litre mix to 9 litres, so that I could take some of the curds for the tart. I found that even after taking 200mg curd for the tart, the remaining cheese was larger than expected.

9 litres Pak n Save standard milk
1 drop std meso, 1 drop Flora danica
6.3 ml Renco rennet IMCU 65
2ml calcium chloride

Heat milk to 32°C , add starter (allow to hydrate for 5 mins before stirring in)
After 30 mins add Calcium chloride
5 mins later add rennet, floc factor 3.5
Floc reached @ 16mins.
After 56 mins cut curd to ¼" cubes.* A very clean break
Allow to rest for 5 mins

Next step, in theory, is to heat slowly from 32°C to 35°C taking 1/2 hour, whilst stirring
In practice the temp had dropped to 30°C, and it took 20 mins to reach 35°C!  Whoops!!  I noticed that towards the end of the half hour the curds were forming large clots in the bottom of the pan, not sure if this was good or bad, but I continued to break them up.

Rest for 45mins
Drain and into mold.

Press 30mins 5kg
Press 90 mins 12kg
Press 22hours 17kg

Into 18% brine for 20 hours. Results look very good at this stage.

* I have become paranoid recently about curd size.  Ever since I cut too large a cubes on my red leicester.  Also playing the videos from Mrs Kirkhams cheeses; Graham, the owner, emphasizes the removing of much whey otherwise it will be a very different cheese.

My research has found Caerphilly recipes showing cubes ranging from 1", down to ¼".. Normally I cut to 1/2 " so the result may be interesting.

** Yorkshire Curd Tart, a dish going back well over 200 years, the farmers wife used the leftover curds to bake a tart (or flan), mixed basically with eggs, sugar, and currants.  Absolutely delicious, and a must-have for any Yorkshireman.  As I live in New Zealand and these are unheard of here, I am resigned to baking my own.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:44:01 PM by Rizzo »

Spoons

Re: Caerphilly Number 4
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:37:30 AM »
Nice philly! but that yorkshire curd tart stole the show! lol! That looks absolutely delicious!

Rizzo

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:07:54 AM »
Nice philly! but that yorkshire curd tart stole the show! lol! That looks absolutely delicious!

Thanks Eric..You're right..Its delicious, and as a bonus, there is only me in our family who eats it !
Maybe I should open a topic on this, as it may well be of interest to fellow cheesemakers. I will have to find to suitable area of the forum

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 01:23:02 AM »
Nice make!  Yes, do post the recipe for that curd tart.  There's a forum here for recipes and this would make a great addition - and I know who'll also be making one of these soon after! :)

- Jeff

Forgot to mention, a cheese to you!

Geodyne

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 01:33:52 AM »
That curd tart does look fabulous. Very Yorkshire indeed.  ;)

Rizzo

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 01:48:36 AM »