Author Topic: Yorkshire Curd Tart (aka Yorkshire Curd Cheesecake)  (Read 2523 times)

Rizzo

Yorkshire Curd Tart (aka Yorkshire Curd Cheesecake)
« on: July 28, 2014, 01:46:57 AM »
Makes 1 x 10" tart.

The tart is not overly sweet and has a lovely soft centre and a golden brown colour.

Ingredients:

125g butter
60g caster sugar
250g cheese curd (can be a bit less)
125g currants
pinch of salt
2 eggs, beaten
½ tsp powdered nutmeg
zest of ½ lemon
blind-baked 10 inch shortcrust pastry shell (made or bought)

Method:

First of all, cream together the butter and sugar well, , add the lemon zest, salt and eggs,
then gently mix in the cheese and currants
Pour the filling into the (blind baked) pastry shell and bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 190⁰C.

Cool on a rack, then eat...try to save some for tomorrow!!  :D

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 01:55:34 AM by Rizzo »

Spoons

Re: Yorkshire Curd Tart (aka Yorkshire Curd Cheesecake)
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 01:57:04 AM »
Oh... Very nice!

Having eaten curd tart, what do you think would be a good currant substitute? or would it still be good without the berries?

Rizzo

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:10:02 AM »
You can go with sultanas or raisins, I understand.  I have seen recipes that just refer to 'mixed fruit'...Its one of those areas that have been hotly contested for the last 200 years! lol...You could have it without the berries, of course, but they do really add to it.

Some recipes suggest rosewater also, and in others the ratio of butter/sugar differs.  It goes on and on...In the end its a matter of personal taste. .  This recipe is the closest to my experience of the tart when I lived in Yorkshire (for 30 years).

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:27:53 AM »
Oh A cheese for this - This is serious lushious food  >:D
Next cheese day it's a date -can't wait.
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 06:13:50 AM »
Nice!  A cheese to you for this!

- Jeff

TimT

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:23:05 AM »
I've made this recipe (or close to it) several times - I think I've left a post about it on this site somewhere. It's a great simple traditional cheesecake. The best thing about it is you don't even really have to care so much about quantities - once you curdle your milk, you've got your base, and then you add some egg (doesn't matter how much) to give it a quiche-like consistency and make it gel together, and some sugar (however much you feel like!) for flavouring. Same with the currants, nutmeg, and lemon peel.

The version I originally used has not only rose-water but brandy and 'sack' (a 19th century type of fortified wine). In later versions I've added grated lemon peel to my recipe too.

Obviously, the less the more fastidious eaters know about this recipe, the better!