Author Topic: Jarlsberg VS Baby Swiss; Are they the same?  (Read 4868 times)

Spoons

Jarlsberg VS Baby Swiss; Are they the same?
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:58:33 PM »
Jarslberg VS Baby Swiss

I'm buying some PS soon and want to make a Jarlsberg-style cheese. The more I read, the more I'm confused. Is a Baby Swiss the same as a Jarslberg? I've never had baby swiss before.

I read some places that Jarslberg is the original and most sold Baby-Swiss cheese in the world. So that's kind of confusing because I looked at Ricky Carroll's website and there are 2 distinct recipes for each cheese. 

Before looking into this, I always though Baby-Swiss was an Emmentaler. I'm not the biggest Emmantaler fan, so I never bothered trying baby-swiss (here in North America, we simply call Emmantaler, swiss cheese. So there's room for lots of confusion).

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Jarlsberg VS Baby Swiss; Are they the same?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:04:46 PM »
They are not the same at all. Baby Swiss is a mesophylic make.

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 09:41:11 PM »
They are not the same at all. Baby Swiss is a mesophylic make.

I've seen 2 recipes that say Jarlsberg is a mesophilic (M. Morris and C. Carroll). Amrien-Boyes says it's a thermopholic cooked at 108F. One blogger even went on to say that the thermophilic one doesn`t taste like Jarlsberg.

So confusing

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 04:47:13 AM »
The picture I am using is from what I thought was a Jarlsberg style make. Pretty nice holes for a 2 gallon make! At any rate, I thought it turned out very well, tasting very similar to what I think of as Jarlsberg. It was made with Flora Danica as a starter, so a mesophillic washed curd. I don't know how to link to it, but it was made 4-14-13.
Susan

WovenMeadows

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:07:19 AM »
This type of question/issue came up in at least one other thread:
http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php?action=emailuser;sa=sendtopic;topic=12559.0
You're correct in that many recipes for Baby Swiss and Jarlsberg are almost identical, far from "completely different." Of course, the true Jarlsberg recipe is probably closely guarded, so we don't really know the difference.