Author Topic: Forum access problems  (Read 5196 times)

John@PC

Forum access problems
« on: July 28, 2014, 05:38:39 PM »
I have a friend who is having problems joining the forum.  I've quoted part of his email that explains the problem.  Anyone else having problems like this, or know how you may help him?  Thanks.
The purpose of this email is that I have been trying to register for
cheesforum.org for a few weeks now and the system will never send me a
activation email.  I registered with this email address and have
requested the forum site to resend activation code at least 20 times
and it never arrives either in my spam folder or inbox.  I even tried
registering another email address and user name and that email address
also never got an activation code.
  It's been a while since I registered and I don't remember the protocol or  the registration procudure so I'm not much help to him  :(.

John@PC

Re: Forum access problems
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:48:17 AM »
Ok, like Richard Nixon said, "let me be clear... >:(".  On the suggestion of my friend I tried to register with another email address and the same thing happened: I never received an activation email even if I requested a second time.  Something has to be amiss or the CF elf who sends out the activation email must be napping.  Bueller?  Bueler???

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 02:19:59 PM »
John, quite a while ago now I stopped getting notifications on posts and PMs, even though I have my settings correctly set.  I did e-mail our web guru several times, but haven't heard anything.  Not sure what's going on...related, maybe?
- Paul

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 04:17:56 PM »
Paul, I got a notice about your reply so at least that worked for me.  I guess we can blame in on the "summer doldrums"  ;).

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 02:24:11 PM »
I've received an email from a third person trying (unsuccessfully) to register on the forum.   I'll try to keep this thread active until the problem is corrected.  Any help would be appreciated.

John@PC

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 02:37:55 PM »
I went to the member list and see that new members have registered as recently as today.  I tried myself to register just now under a different email and did not receive a activation email back.  I wonder if any of the new members had problems or is it "operator error" on out part?

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 06:29:29 PM »
I've also received an e-mail from someone who has tried to register but also who is not getting an activation e-mail.  I PM'd John (CH) about it, which ended my involvement so I don't know if things got sorted.

- Jeff

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 07:36:44 PM »
Hey John -

I'm not having that issue, but still not getting notices of any updates to bookmarked threads, or notices of PMs from the board.  I've gotten used to it and I know you have your hands full with spammers lately, just an FYI in case anything rings a bell.  Many thanks for your hosting this wonderful gathering spot!
- Paul

Reflector

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 02:04:03 PM »
I've also received an e-mail from someone who has tried to register but also who is not getting an activation e-mail.  I PM'd John (CH) about it, which ended my involvement so I don't know if things got sorted.

Just found this thread. My activation email was not delivered to my gmail address, and in the end I tried registering with an alternative e-mail address, and my activation notice arrived almost immediately.  Thanks for your kind assistance, Jeff. I'm on board now too. :D

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »

Just found this thread. My activation email was not delivered to my gmail address, and in the end I tried registering with an alternative e-mail address, and my activation notice arrived almost immediately.  Thanks for your kind assistance, Jeff. I'm on board now too. :D
by any chance did you check you spam box some times they go there in G-mail
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 10:20:44 PM »
Hi Reflector,

Glad to hear it got sorted!  Looking forward to seeing some of your makes.  Lots of good tips and make protocols here, but more can always be added to the mix. 

- Jeff

StuartDunstan

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 10:54:50 PM »
I had the exact same problem when I tried to join, and I believe it's to do with free web-based email addresses like Gmail. I tried registering with both my Gmail and Hotmail accounts and never got an activation email, not even in the spam folder. I even used the contact form to try and get in touch with whoever runs this place, but never heard anything. It wasn't until I used my work email address that I finally got an activation email -- and straight away!

Reflector

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 05:45:28 AM »
by any chance did you check you spam box some times they go there in G-mail
Yup, I sifted through the offerings of super lucrative investments, free furniture, and various dubious ointments and capsules, but alas, nothing of a cheesy nature.

Stuart, you may have a point. The activation email finally came through on my old student email account, which is linked to that of a university.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 03:33:49 PM »
Well thats funny it must have changed since I joined cause I used G-mail and no problems ???
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 05:12:28 PM »
I received an email from someone today who has tried multiple times to register and did not get a confirmation email. A few days ago I tried to register with an email account at GMX.com ( free email ) and did get the confirmation email.