Author Topic: Leaving the Cave unattended whilst overseas  (Read 2324 times)

Rizzo

Leaving the Cave unattended whilst overseas
« on: July 30, 2014, 01:13:32 AM »
Hope someone can help me with this.  A bit of advance planning.

I will take a 5 week holiday over the Christmas period, and my cave will be unattended.
My cheeses are all natural rind, and short of asking the neighbour to come in every so often to turn, brush etc, (which I don't really want to do) I can't see a way to deal with this.
I don't really want to eat all the cheese before I get on the plane either.  I will be most grateful of any ideas/suggestions. Thanks

Spoons

Re: Leaving the Cave unattended whilst overseas
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:54:12 AM »
I would gladly house-sit, turn and scrub your cheeses. I'll even sing songs to your cheeses for flavour improvement. Once you come back, your cheeses will be in pristine condition. All I'm asking for in return is the air fair  ;) New Zealand, here I come  ;D

All kidding (and wishing) aside, I would suggest you find someone to turn them, but not brush them if you think the brushing would bother them. Your cheeses will most likely be fuzzy, but nothing you can't manage. The paste will be fine as long as they are turned. Five weeks is a long time without turning.

Anyone know if putting the cheeses in the fridge for 5 weeks unattended, and then return them to the cave would be a viable option?

Rizzo

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 02:58:17 AM »
Hello Spoons. Christmas in NZ is of course summer, so I'm sure it would be far too hot for you !!  Who would want to miss a Canadian winter?   :D

I like your thinking of putting the cheeses in the fridge..

JeffHamm

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 03:05:31 AM »
I think the fridge would be ok if you can seal them well enough that they don't dry out.  If you could get some cheese wax and wax them for 5 weeks then your all set.  If you've got a vac sealer, that works well too.

Rizzo

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 03:13:05 AM »
Hi Jeff, yes I could wax them.  It would mean removing every bit of mold prior, presumably.  Vac bagging sounds good too, although I don't have a machine at present. Could ask my better half for one as an early Christmas present though..

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:55:52 AM »
Give them a good brushing, then wax.  When you get back, remove the wax and age as normal.  Should be ok.  If you make just the right amount of a mess with the wax, you'll probably get that vac. sealer as a "now" gift without having to sacrifice a Christmas prezzie!  :)

george

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:03:17 AM »
Excellent strategy, Jeff!  ;D

jwalker

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
I would go for the vac bagging if it's just for 5 weeks , not as messy as wax , easy to unbag when you get home.

Or call Bret and Jemaine , they're pretty cheezy , perhaps they'd come over and look after them for you. ;D

New Zealand , isn't that part of Australia ?  ;D

Rizzo

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:39:36 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. Vac bagging sounds good at the moment.  I'll check out some models...I see there are several posts on Vac bag machines in the forum...Fishing forums also seem to carry a lot of info on them too.  Unfortunately Brett and Jermaine are also away on holiday at that time ;)

Australia, by the way, is the third island of New Zealand...lol ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:53:20 PM by Rizzo »