Author Topic: Cheese fridge thermostat  (Read 2252 times)

Atari Boy

Cheese fridge thermostat
« on: August 06, 2014, 06:17:32 AM »
Please be gently, I'm new to cheese making and this forum.

I want to make a cheese maturing fridge, but I am have a problems locating the correct thermostat to increase the fridges temperature.

I have watched this video and plan on doing the same (unless you suggest differently):

Could someone post a link to the correct thermostat to get, I'm based in the UK.

Many thanks in advance.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Cheese fridge thermostat
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:43:21 AM »
I think there are a few different ways that you can go about this.
I went for the budget version - a cheap thermostat from China via ebay. I plug it into the power socket and than plug the fridge into the thermostat. A temperature sensor goes in past the door seal.
I'ts not really accurate. I have it set on 15C to get a temperature of about 13C and there is a +/-1C variation on top of this. Then again, for around $20 Aust. what can you expect. These thermostats, by the way, are aimed at reptile fanciers for their terrariums.
Others may have more elegant and accurate solutions.
- Andrew

fabian

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
I used the TS2010 of Love (that;s the brand) I don;t know where are you located but if you click the link it will show you different configurations of voltage and temperature. They are very accurate and easy to use. This device just overwrite the fridge thermostat so you control the temperature.
Good luck!
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/division/love/Product/Temperature/Switches/DigitalPanelMount/SeriesTS2
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:45:09 AM by Fabiolo »

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
I didn't look at the video before I posted my previous reply. Have now seen it I think there are a couple of things that you should think about.
1. Do you really want to muck around with wiring up a mains voltage device? It may not be legal if you are not an electrician. (I'm not but I'm still worried about Uncle Harry - he's using a metal box without apparently earthing it.)
2. You would have to calibrate the device.
Unless you're confident and competent there are probably better options.
- Andrew

psearle

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 12:54:29 PM »
My answer to this was to buy a digital temperature controller on eBay to control an old upright freezer that I got at no cost on FreeCycle.  The controller cost about £12 and has worked beautifully now for almost 2 years.  My "cave" stays within a range of 10 - 11C with no problem and uses very little electricity.  Search on eBay for "temperature controller" and you will see literally thousands of them.  Be sure to get a 220-240V AC 50 Hz one.

The temperature probe comes with about 1 metre of cable and the cable is thin enough for me to just close the freezer door on it (the rubber seal keeps it airtight around the cable).  The controller itself is a "smart" mains relay which you use to interrupt the mains power supply to the freezer.  I knocked up a rough box to hold my controller with a 3 pin plug wired to the controller output.  I plug the freezer lead into that.

The instructions with the controller show you how to control the hysteresis so that the freezer isn't rapidly switching on and off.  I've set mine to wait 1 minute before switching.  I also set the mode to switch power on when the temperature rose ABOVE 11C (you can also set it to switch when the temperature falls BELOW a temperature).

As my cave is in a room of my outside workshop I had to also cater for the fact that the temperature there drops below 10C in winter.  As its in a small room the answer was to leave a convection heater in there with the thermostat set to come on around 15C.

It really is a very easy solution.  Go for it!

Regards

Peter

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 01:16:15 PM »
Like others have said, I also strongly suggest a digital control. There are many DYI projects out there, but there are also units that are ready to use.

http://www.perfect-cheese.com/temperature-controller

http://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Controls-Digital-Thermostat-Control/dp/B00368D6JA/ref=pd_sxp_f_i/175-2005740-6882068

Atari Boy

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:14:57 PM »
Thank you everyone, the really warm welcome is appreciated.

I'm in the UK, so this looks suitable, correct?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291089378764

fabian

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 02:04:45 AM »
I think will work great!
Keep us posted.

psearle

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 06:28:33 AM »
Hi Atari Boy

The one you've indicated on eBay looks right for the job to me.  I'd just make sure that (a) you mount it in some sort of a box (b) don't forget to carry the earth wire through from your mains supply to your freezer. 

I must stress that I'm an amateur, NOT a professional electrician, so I am not offering any expert advice but I had no difficulty in using a device like this.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on!

Peter

Atari Boy

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 05:56:44 PM »
Thank you, item ordered - watch this space.....