Author Topic: Caerphilly with lipase - taste report  (Read 1611 times)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Caerphilly with lipase - taste report
« on: August 06, 2014, 07:02:01 PM »
I mentioned in another thread that I made a Caerphilly and a Lancashire with the addition of some lipase, just to see how that turned out. For the Caerphilly, I used the 200 Easy Cheeses recipe, but made a 3-gallon make, using 3/16 tsp Danisco MA011 and 1/8 tsp Danisco MD89, plus I added a mere 1/32 tsp of calf lipase. I also cut back the time in the brine from 20 hours down to about 16, in an effort to make it a bit less salty. The Caerphilly has reached the grand old age of 3 weeks, and I ran out of other cheese, so I opened it.

Wow -- TONS of flavor from a very young cheese. It has the tangy, slightly crumbly flavor and texture that I got the last time I made Caerphilly using the 200 Easy Cheeses protocol, with (in my view) a better balance of saltiness, but it also has an additional sharpness that I assume came from the lipase, plus the classic lipase aroma, which I quite like but my wife detests. It also seems to have just a hint of crystallization in the paste -- ?? Surely too young for that, even with the lipase??

In any case, it tastes REALLY good, at least to someone like me who likes a strong, sharp cheese. I've put half of it back in the cave to see what another week or two of aging brings ... assuming this half lasts long enough to leave it that long! I'd like to try the lipase again, but maybe adding it to Jeff Hamm's protocol ... and even better if I could make two at the same time, one with lipase and one without, so that I could compare them side by side. In a few more weeks, I'll taste the Lancashire with lipase, and will report on it as well.
-- Andy

JeffHamm

Re: Caerphilly with lipase - taste report
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »
Very nice looking caerphilly!  And, good to know that it works well with lipase too as that gives one some room to experiment and just for variety as well.  A cheese to you.  Looking forward to the lancashire report as well.

- Jeff

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:36:11 PM »
I have a 5 week old Caerphilly that has lipase in the mix, I hope I will have the same excitement when I open for a taste test ^-^
AC4U ;D
I think the other half of your cheese will only get better :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 04:28:28 PM »
I'll be interested to hear your report!

I have to confess that this one did not last very long at all. Some was given to a friend, and the rest "mysteriously" disappeared. :)
-- Andy