Author Topic: Hi from Mo. soon to be Ar. (help?)  (Read 2055 times)

Cheese Ladies

Hi from Mo. soon to be Ar. (help?)
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:33:39 PM »
I'm so happy that I found this site!! We raise an assortment of dairy goats and have started making a small variety of cheeses. We are in the process of finding property in Ar. and hopefully with a cave already in place. If anyone has any info on readying a cave for cheeses please, PLEASE let us know...I have searched the web over and over and find info on 'man made' caves but nothing on a real cave. I figure that there are things that would have to be done to set it up and properly clean it? Thank you!!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Hi from Mo. soon to be Ar. (help?)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
If you goto the Equipment>Aging section you will find info about setting up cheese caves.

First rule is that it be free of insects and dirt and is sterile. Next make sure you can maintain proper humidity and temp. That's about it. If you make mold ripened cheese then you'll need to put them in containers in the cave if you make other cheeses because the mold, blue cheese and camembert, will get everywhere and on other cheeses.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:54:16 PM »
Hi Cheese Ladies and welcome to the forum!

I assume you are in US and Ar is Arizona and Mo is Montana?

Now that is interesting, finding a property with a geological type cave! Sadly I have no experience, but similar to Carter, I would suspect that requirements would be:
  • Physical space, ie ability to stand, space for shelves etc, adequate size for your needs.
  • No/minimal critters, both bugs and wildlife.
  • Ability to gate it from hungry wildlife.
  • Correct temperature.
  • Correct humidity.

Other resources for you are:

Hope helps, I suspect you will get several more responses in the next 24 hours, when you get time, would love to learn about some of your cheese making experiences . . . John.

Tea

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 08:15:39 PM »
Good morning Cheese Ladies and welcome to the forum.  What cheeses have you tried so far?

Cheese Ladies

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 10:32:11 PM »
Hi everyone and thank you!! We are moving from Missouri to Arkansas..in the hills lol We have made chevre (made it plain and made some with our sun dried tomatoes and basil from the garden YUM!!!), and ricotta, mozzarella and just dying to make some mold ripened cheeses..
I hate the waiting but if I set up things here ...we'll just have to move them down there..sooooooooo it's become a waiting process. But, with my time I am trying to get and gather all the info possible..

btw John thank you for the links. I'm downloading now.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »
Welcome CheeseLadies you'll find these people very friendly and knoledgable. Quite a wonderful resource!

Captain Caprine

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 03:13:17 AM »
Welcome Ladies :)
CC

Rich

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 09:07:28 AM »
Hello ladies,  I am new here too; and I live in AR.  Carroll County to be precise.  Where exactly are you interested in relocating?  I could ask around in my area for you.  BTW, this IS Arkansas - keeping bugs out of anything is just NOT possible.