Author Topic: Opened my first Derby  (Read 1836 times)

Rizzo

Opened my first Derby
« on: August 09, 2014, 05:35:14 AM »
Just cut into my first Derby, age 13 weeks. I am waiting for it to get to room temperature.  Smells wonderful, lovely and moist, small rind.  I am so excited and enthused !

Rizzo

Re: Opened my first Derby
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 06:15:32 AM »
Well, after all that, findings are; very smooth, the flavour is ok but nothing special, best described as a bit short.  My Caerphilly's and the Lancashire were tastier. :-\

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 06:50:57 AM »
Hi Rizzo,

It's a fantastic looking cheese.  A shame the flavours were not quite there.  It's got a beautiful rind on it though.  That's worth a cheese from me at least.  What protocol did you follow for this make?  Was it the one I adapted from the old text (involves pressing and remilling, rather than cheddaring)?  I've got a derby in the cave now that's just coming up on 12 weeks, but planning on aging it a few more months yet.  I think Derby made following the older protocol probably requires closer to the 8-12 months of aging to start developing some depth. 

- Jeff

Rizzo

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »
Hi Jeff, this recipe is from 200 Easy cheeses. Yes, I did want to age it out to 8 months but impatience got the better of me.  Reading my notes I find that the pancake broke up very easily when I tried to turn it, and the cheese was very small crumbs by the time milling was complete. 

I shouldn't be so ungrateful (lol), it IS cheese, and it IS pleasant tasting, its just not quite got that 'buzz'.  But next time.......!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 08:40:15 AM by Rizzo »

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 03:18:16 PM »
Yes sir a very fine looking cheese 8)
even if you say it's not that great my eyes tell me it is still yummy ;D
Another cheese for you ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 07:16:38 PM »
Hi Rizzo,

Yah, it can be hard to wait it out.  I find if you can make a lot of cheese, then the trick is to make a short ager (like caerphilly, butterkase, lancashire, etc) followed by one that requires more time.  Then anther short ager, etc.  This way, you can get a fair few long aging cheeses, and the short aging ones start coming online fast enough that you get to satisfy that "time to open another one" need. 

Bloomy rinds, like brie, etc, also are quick to table.  And some of the semi-lactic makes are ready even faster!

As for creating the slap for cheddaring, with commerical makes they have the weight of alot of curds to really help press the curds together.  I find that it helps to put a follower on top of the curds then press with 2 or 3 litres of water in one of the milk jugs.

Also, the curds from homebrand milk are fairly fragile after cutting, so when starting to stirr, just put your stir stick down a cut and jiggle them for the first 5 minutes or so rather than try to stirr them.  That should help firm the curds up a bit so they don't break apart so much during stirring.  The siliver top cream line milk gives much stronger curds, but it is also very high fat content, which isn't always what you want.

- Jeff

Rizzo

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:18:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice, guys, (especially the (stirring of Homebrand, Jeff), all taken on board for future planning and the next cheese.  Butterkase it is! 

One of my problems (challenges should I say) as a relative beginner is that I have made several cheeses but have no idea what they will taste like.  Hence my urgency to test, so I will know if they are to my taste and worth making several more for long term aging.
The Caerphilly has already proved itself, the Lancashire was so-so.  But waiting in the wings are 2 Double Gloucesters, (one to Mrs KK's and one to 200 cheeses), a Wensleydale to your recipe Jeff, and of course the over-creamy infamous Monterey Jack. All as yet untried and tested..
I have Caerphilly #4 aging at the moment as the infill.  Given time it will all pan out....   ;D

footnote: could someone point me in the direction of a good Butterkase recipe?  ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 01:47:43 AM by Rizzo »