Author Topic: Adjustments for raw milk?  (Read 1783 times)

rosawoodsii

Adjustments for raw milk?
« on: August 12, 2014, 02:30:49 PM »
I've read in a couple places that rennet and culture quantities should change if using raw milk.  Can anyone verify this?  I use primarily raw goat milk and have noticed that I use less rennet than the recipes call for, but I've never adjusted the culture. 

Another question--I've seen suggestions to lower the temperature for the make by 2-5°F for goat milk.  Sometimes I've done that, sometimes not, but I'd like to hear from others on that, why it might be necessary, why not.

JeffHamm

Re: Adjustments for raw milk?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »
Hi,

I've seen the recommendations of cutting cultures in half (as the raw milk already has some).  And for the lower temperatures, but I'm not sure why that's the case (different protein structure?  is it the smaller fat and natural homogenised nature of goat milk? etc).  I don't recall seeing anything about change rennet amounts per se, but if you use the floc method you might very well dial in on different amounts due to differences in culture make up and acidity levels that develop? 

- Jeff

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:30:45 PM »
I am able to use less rennet with raw cows milk.  I keep the amount of culture the same, though, because if I don't, my cow's natural flora takes over and the cheese can have a bitter edge to it - mostly noticeable with younger cheeses, though it goes away when the cheese is aged longer.

I don't know anything about working with goat's milk.  Sorry.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:38:00 PM »
Thanks, Karen.  I suspect culture and rennet would remain the same with cow and goat milk.  Your experience and mine seem to coincide.

I am curious about lower temps with goat milk, though.  I suppose I could just make the same recipe twice, but if the temperature turns out to be too low, I think I wouldn't get a good set.  I usually drop it 2°F and have had good results, but I have to wonder if that's because it isn't a huge difference.

gjfarm

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »
I use raw goats milk for all my cheeses.  I just use the amount of rennet and culture suggested in the recipes.  Boyes book calls for calcium chloride when using goats milk, but I've never used it and my curds set up with no problem.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 07:27:05 PM »
I've never used CaCl either. I thought it was just for pasteurized milk, and I won't ruin my milk by pasteurizing it. :)