Author Topic: Swiss cheese with B. Linens  (Read 2270 times)

rosawoodsii

Swiss cheese with B. Linens
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:51:56 PM »
I made a baby swiss about a month ago, and stored it in a container in my cheese cave that I thought had been completely sanitized.  It looks like the plastic held some of the B.Linens from the previous cheese because this baby Swiss is definitely growing a red, rather soft rind.  It's now in it's warm stage and I'm despairing what to do.  Any suggestions?

Alpkäserei

Re: Swiss cheese with B. Linens
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
Let it go,

A lot of Emmentaler is made with a BL rind, in Switzerland.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:33:17 PM »
That's a relief.  The rind, as I said, is getting rather soft and a bit slimy, but I guess it'll shape up once it's in its cold phase again.

Thank you, Alpkäserei.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 01:45:29 PM »
The rind, as I said, is getting rather soft and a bit slimy, but I guess it'll shape up once it's in its cold phase again.
Sounds like it's a little too humid. Are you keeping it enclosed in the container?

What's the temperature/RH?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 09:14:07 PM »
I have the lid on loosely.  Temp is about 72°--warm phase.  When I turned it today, the slim was bout 1/8 inch deep.  I'm really wondering whether to toss this cheese.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 01:19:46 PM »
I'm really wondering whether to toss this cheese.
Before I'd give it the heave-ho, I'd try to gently wash the slime off under cool running water, dry it, and return it to the Warm Phase. Unless you like the slime, of course. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 05:35:18 PM »
The some can get pretty heavy, especially at those temperatures. Try leaving it without lid to allow it to dry off. We would normally dry the rind before the warm phase, and if you have a heavyv schmier rind you need to have a dry warm phase.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »
I was going to try leaving the lid off, but within seconds it was so strong I couldn't bear to be in the room.  When i picked it up to turn it, my fingers sunk in even deeper than last time.  I tossed it. The chickens liked it, though; they didn't seem to be bother by either the slime or the smell.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »
Sounds like yeast to me, actually. Describe the smell

rosawoodsii

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 03:06:35 PM »
I'm not sure I can describe it.  Very strong, as strong as overripe limburger, but not the same smell.  Very cheesy, which I get could be an indication of yeast.  It wouldn't be so disagreeable if it weren't so strong.