Author Topic: Raw Jersey Gouda - Make update  (Read 2312 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Raw Jersey Gouda - Make update
« on: August 17, 2014, 03:44:57 AM »
I am not sure how, but this make today ended up with the cheese weighing much more than I would expect!  The cow provided 3.25 gallons, and the gouda weighs 4.5 # before brining! How could that happen?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 01:08:18 AM by scasnerkay »
Susan

Reflector

Re: Raw Jersey Gouda
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 05:46:20 AM »
They say a Jersey will yield 20-25% more cheese than other brands of cow, but even so your yield is exceptional. Sometimes surgeons forget stuff in their patients ... did you check that all your pressing weights  are accounted for? ;)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
Re: Raw Jersey Gouda - Make update
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 01:29:32 AM »
It will be difficult to go back to pasteurized milk, but this was a rare chance to work with this milk. I said thank you to both the lovely cow, and her owner.
I think I have made gouda style cheese about 8 times now. It seems a fairly reliable and satisfying cheese to make. The longest I have managed to age it out is 7 months. With this larger size, perhaps some of it will be able to be saved for a longer time.
No problems during this make. Flocculation was a little long due to using a bit less rennet. The pH at draining was a bit high, but the curd felt ready to grip and texture testing. Approximately 3 hours from starter in to draining, and total pressing time was 5 hours, so right on schedule. Surprises were the large size of the cheese with 3.25 gallons making a 4.5 pound cheese prior to brining.
Look at the spreadsheet to see the data.
Susan

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:14:00 PM »
Nice cheese, Suzan!

I like you Excel spreadsheet. I just might use it  :)

A cheese for you for your cheese and your excel setup!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
Nice spreadsheet, Susan.

A cheese for the excellent selfie(?) and the detailed write-up. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 05:15:22 AM »
An update on this pretty cheese.... It is now almost 7 weeks along. The cave has been running at about 55 degrees, and at least 90% humidity. It has required frequent cleaning with salt mixed with a bit of vinegar. Now a bit more stable.  Original weight was 4# 8 oz. Now down to 3#, 14 0z. Seems like quite a bit of drying on this one. The color is quite nice, golden/orange where one can see through the geo!  I think the varied feed this cow eats (beets, pumpkin, greens) will make for an interesting cheese when it is time to open it.
I really like seeing the progression of a cheese when others post images. So I decided to do the same. Being able to allow a natural rind is pretty exciting. Previously cracking meant I had to bag everything.
Susan

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 12:45:32 PM »
I'd give you another cheese but I used my daily quota up on your St. Paulin  :).  I wish I had the patience and organization skills that you (the Cheese Guard) and others on the forum demonstrate with your descriptive posts and pictures.  It's a good lesson for newbies (and the rest of us still learning) to take the time to plan the make, keep a log, and document progression with pictures.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »
Thank you John!  The Cheese Guard shirt came from volunteering at the American Cheese Society meeting in Sacramento this year. It is fun to wear when doing a make!
Susan