Author Topic: Same Temperature light brine washed Curd  (Read 1725 times)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Same Temperature light brine washed Curd
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:04:26 AM »
This recipe is from Mastering Artisan Cheese by Gianaclis Caldwell with adaptations to 10 litres of milk .  Modelled on the St. Paulin style cheese.
Measurements using the mini spoons from Green living Australia are as follows:
Drop (1/64th) :Smidgen (1/32nd) : Pinch (1/16th): Dash 1/8th: Tad ¼ th tsp.
Ingredients

10 litres Melany Milk – un-homogenised full cream milk. 
the original cultures were 1/8th tsp. Choozit MM100 and 1/16th tsp LM culture but my Sacco MO 036R culture had the same ingredients – so 1 Dose – and for my current batch = 1 smidgin. 
I've been quite captured by the other ingredients in the cultures but one thing I have come to understand is, you have to ultimately understand what the batches of culture you are using and what your over goal for the cheese is.  Mrs Caldwell goes into great depth in her book.

Calcium Chloride 1/2 tsp diluted in 1/4 cup non-chlorinated water.
1/4 tsp of single strength rennet.  diluted in 1/4 cup non-chlorinated water.  This is an objective amount I used 1.8 mls of (200 IMCU) and was not enough
4 litres of Filtered (@32DegC) - non-chlorinated water with 1.5 level tsp pure salt dissolved. it was supposed to be 0.2% by weight.
Heavy Brine 23% (near saturated)

Heat milk to 32 deg C and add Culture.
Ripen for 1 hour
Add diluted CaCl2 ( Tad  to ¼ cup of non-Chlorinated water)
Add diluted rennet (200 IMCU) (2 mls to ¼ cup of non-Chlorinated water). Setting Goal 45 of Minutes.  if using the Flocculation method I used a 3.5 multiplier.

Cut Curd @ your Cut Time or when you have a clean break  (I find that the Flocculation method gives a more consistent result.) to ¼ (6mm) over 20 minutes, the original says take 20 minutes but manually cutting only took 3-5 minutes. 

This is where a little interpretation is needed. 20 minutes is a long time to cut the curds so very gently stirred for the remaining time(approx. 15 minutes), given the next stage is to partially drain the whey, without stirring I would not have been able to.  As it was it took a bit to get 4 litres out.

Rest for 15 minutes.

Partially drain by removing 4 litres of whey (approx. 50%). keep for later for either pressing, or a batch of Ricotta  :P
add the wash water @32OC. Stir in gently teasing apart the curd mass.

Heat and stir for 30 minutes, Stir gently and slowly heat to 38OC(100OF). The texture of the curds will change.   

Pitch curd - no, not at the cat !!  this is basically consolidating the curd mass to roughly the shape and size of the form you are going place it into.  I wish I had photos to show but, it is as simple as getting your hands around the curd mass (I also used a piece of plastic draining mat to help scoop it together) massaging it into a smaller shape under the whey.  It really quite magical.  Leave it there for 15 minutes.

Gather curds with the cheese cloth and gently massage into the cheese form.

Add 1 kg weight and gently press under the whey for 15 minutes. Remove from form, work quickly but gently, redress the cheese press at the same weight for 30 minutes.
repeat and press at 2 Kg for 1 hour. Do these pressings under whey if you can.  It will help close the rind.

Redress and continue to press. Out of the whey this time, until the pH is 5.2-5.3. About 4-6 hours. This is about acid build up before brining the cheese.  because of the temp of the day this step took about 8 hours for me - be patient as this is where the acid is been created and help the aging process.  Don't be temped to over press this cheese as it needs the acid build up and removing the whey too quickly will remove the food the culture needs to do it's job.

Brine the cheese - if using saturated 4-6 hours per Kg of cheese.  Mine wasn't quite that so I left it over night.

Age in the Cheese fridge at 10-13 deg C for about 6-8 weeks.

I'll keep you posted on the aging.

CheeseOn 8)

-- Mal

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Spoons

Re: Same Temperature light brine washed Curd
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 02:28:46 PM »
I've been wanting to make this for a while now. I really like Caldwell's book!

Nice make but we need pics ;)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 10:28:10 AM »
I'll be interested to hear how this turns out as I made one from the same recipe about 6 weeks ago. I'm a bit concerned that mine might be blowing - it's developing a tendency towards the spherical.
- Andrew

Spoons

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
I'll be interested to hear how this turns out as I made one from the same recipe about 6 weeks ago. I'm a bit concerned that mine might be blowing - it's developing a tendency towards the spherical.

Late blowing is such a disappointment; You're satisfied with the make. The cheese is well in the aging process and then BAM! it starts blowing up. It happened to me too and I'm a little paranoid about it. lol.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 12:31:54 AM »
Been in my 'Cave' at 10 degrees C for three days and seems to be maintaining it's shape.  G.C.  has a few gems in her book around curd cutting, overcooking, stirring, overpressing that all seem to lead to making sure the whey is drained at just the right rate to still allow acid generation and therefore keep ing cheese 'safer' from these bugs that cause 'BAMO !!'. But, still making sure there are no pockets of whey left to feed these other bugs. I'm a bit overparanoid about putting hands into my curds and clip nails and scrub before doing so - even then, there is no guarantee  :o

I'll keep an eye on it and post photos tommorow, sorry I don't have any of the make..  :(

CheeseOn  8)

Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:52:53 PM »
Mal, you inspired me to give this a try yesterday! Thanks for the suggestion. Mine also took a full 8 hours to develop the correct pH, using FD as starter.
Susan
Susan

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 02:16:52 AM »
Well done Susan,  and a cheese for your persistence. Start a post and post up some pics, if you have them.

As promise here is a few of mine after a week in its home - weight a bit over 1.3kg from 10 litres.  Smells wonderful, feels firm and nicely closed rind.  One thing I would stress if you are making this one is that you real don't have to press with a lot of weight when pressing under whey and it needs the residual whey to slowly press out so to provide the necessary Lactose to get to the desired pH.

CheeseOn  8)