Author Topic: Faisselle--am I expecting too much?  (Read 797 times)

chevre au lait

Faisselle--am I expecting too much?
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »
Finding myself with a whole liter of fresh goat milk, I went to my copy of 200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes and decided that I could make the Faisselle recipe with that small quantity of milk.  Warmed up the milk to 30C, opened Mesophilic starter, sprinkled in a "pinch" and blended it in, let sit 6 or 7 minutes, mixed two drops of rennet into a tablespoon of water, blended it in, put the lid on, and left the pot on the counter overnight.  In the morning it was a single creamy curd, smooth like yogurt or sour cream.  I ladled it into recycled yogurt cups with holes pricked in them, put them in a dish, covered them, and put them in the fridge.  Come supper time, I pull one out and eat it.  It tastes...less flavourful than the sweet fresh milk it was made with, and now with a hint of fridge.  The texture is smooth with a bit of...microgranular fuzziness perhaps.  Is Faisselle supposed to be bland to the point of flavourless?  If so, what is the point of making it?  Or is the culture I used perhaps too old?