Author Topic: First natural rind Caerphilly  (Read 2419 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
First natural rind Caerphilly
« on: August 24, 2014, 06:14:02 AM »
I had a guest over, and no homemade cheese open, so I decided to cut into this one! This is the first cheese I have opened since using the Avantco food warmer set up, and the first larger format (4 gallons) caerphilly I have made. It is also the first time I have had a cheese form a multicolor natural rind! It was scary! :-\ My prior cave was too dry, and if I let a cheese go natural it would crack. So even though it was only 5 weeks old, curiosity got the better of me.
Well, I am happy! I trimmed the rind off, and the flavor seemed very true to style. Moist, and pliable, yet crumbly. Salty and a bit tart. Tomorrow I will check how it melts, but it was nice to share a bit!
For make notes, check the spread sheet after the last picture.
Susan

JeffHamm

Re: First natural rind Caerphilly
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »
Very nice caerphilly!  A cheese to you.  Caerphilly is supposed to develop a wild geo rind, so yours looks very good.  Sounds like the taste is right too.  Well done.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
Great Caerphilly  :) I'm pretty sure I can smell this :P
AC4U ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »
Looks like you made just what you wanted. I'm curious as to the diameter of the mold you used as the height/width ratio seems perfect.  A cheese to you for a great cheese. :D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:51:12 PM »
The form I have been using is from Artisan Geek:  http://artisangeek.com/caciotta-mould-multipurpose/
It is about 6.5 inches at the top, tapering to 6 inches. I got two of them and use the top as a follower. But it will not work with less than about 3.5# of curd. I like the form though, especially when pressing without the cloth at the end.
Susan

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 08:12:56 PM »
The form I have been using is from Artisan Geek:  http://artisangeek.com/caciotta-mould-multipurpose/
It is about 6.5 inches at the top, tapering to 6 inches. I got two of them and use the top as a follower. But it will not work with less than about 3.5# of curd. I like the form though, especially when pressing without the cloth at the end.

Thanks, just ordered two.  ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 05:03:30 AM »

Thanks, just ordered two.  ;D
That's my favorite mould. I press with a second one as a follower, reinforcing it with a Reblochon lid against the pressing force. Love the microperf.

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

amiriliano

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
Beauty!
AC4U ; ;D