Author Topic: Constantly cracking gruyere, despite humidity  (Read 2187 times)

serano

Constantly cracking gruyere, despite humidity
« on: August 22, 2014, 07:42:05 AM »
I have a 2 month old gruyere based on Mary Karlins recipe.

It is 1kg in weight and not the tradtional tomme form, it was made in a 1kg cheddar mold and follows that higher, narrower shape.

Linens was slow to develop (simple brine wash for 3 weeks), not covering the cheese until about a month.  It has been kept at a constant humidity between 85-95%, with temp around 14C, recently dropped to 9C.

At 8 weeks of age it started developing cracks.  At this point there was (and still is) a sticky, but not wet rind.  I have plugged each crack with salted butter, however everytime i plug a crack a new one pops up! I'm a bit worried that i may have worked some of the linens into the cracks during butter sealing and am not sure if this could cause problems.

Is this a sign of late blow in the cheese?  I havent come across this problem yet.

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Spoons

Re: Constantly cracking gruyere, despite humidity
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 02:34:44 PM »
If the top and/or bottom side are bulbous, then there's some late blowing. If not, then it it's something else.

I'm suspecting that its the mould. It might do well for moister cheeses like cheddar, but not so for a gruyère style.

Just a guess on my part.

serano

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:38:56 AM »
The top and the sides seem fine.  No noticeable swelling. Perhaps i just need to wait it out and see.  I didnt realise that gruyere was a drier cheese than cheddar though?

serano

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:09:20 AM »
I've made the decision to wax the cheese in an attempt to save it from further cracking.

How does one handle B.Linens when waxing?  do i wash the still tacky layer of linens off and dry prior to waxing?  Or can i just wax straight over the top of the linens layer as is? I cant find much info on this.

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:50:39 PM »
I've made the decision to wax the cheese in an attempt to save it from further cracking.

How does one handle B.Linens when waxing?  do i wash the still tacky layer of linens off and dry prior to waxing?  Or can i just wax straight over the top of the linens layer as is? I cant find much info on this.
I can't answer the question about waxing over B.Linens, but have you ruled out a humidity sensor error?  I think it's safe to say that there isn't a humidity sensor made (including ours) that can't be affected by the high humidity and circulating mold spores in a cheese cave.  You can check a humidity sensor fairly easily with a saturated salt solution.  If there's a question about it I would recommend doing a check. 

serano

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 12:08:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply john.

sensor error is a possibility, but unfortunately i cant check it as it is an all in one digital unit im using, rather than one with a probe.  The cheese was kept in a covered box which developed condensation on the walls and lid over 24 hrs, and im assuming that is a decent indicator of humidty.

FYI i did just wax over the linens in the end, it had dried off enough to be doable.  Unfortunately what i forgot to consider was the butter i had used to fill the cracks.....Butter + hot wax did not result in a fun time. I finally got it waxed, but its not pretty and most if not all of the butter has melted out of the cracks.

This has turned into a bit of a disaster cheese

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 12:27:23 PM »
The cheese was kept in a covered box which developed condensation on the walls and lid over 24 hrs, and im assuming that is a decent indicator of humidty.
  Agree there so the cracks must have come from something else.  Sorry about all the problems.  I gave up waxing and now when I want to coat I use coconut oil (refined so it doesn't have the coconut taste or virgin if you want the taste).  You can add whatever spices you want as with other oils but the trick is to take the cold cheese from the cave and give it a rub with the liquified oil (it will solidify below 76 deg. F).  After a couple of coating sessions it will start to seal up nicely.  I've attached a picture of the last cheddar I did three weeks ago, rubbed with coconut oil + sweet smoked paprika.