Author Topic: My first cheddar  (Read 4566 times)

Fundy Mental

My first cheddar
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »
Hi All

First post and first cheddar and must say rather proud of myself. I have been making cheese on and off for a number of years, mainly Camembert, feta. But of late I have started making haloumi and had my first crack at a cheddar.

10l of pasteurized milk
2.5ml rennet diluted with 25ml water (cooled / boiled)
200ml starter, prepared day before

raised milk to 32deg c, added starter and let ripen for 45 min
added rennet, floc at 9 min 27 sec, cut at 33 min 15 sec
rest for 5 min
started to stir over next hr, raising to 38 deg c over 40 min
drain off half the whey
stir for another 30 min (maintain 38 deg c)
drain off whey and let curd mass come together
cheddar for about 1 hr 15 min, maintaining curd between 34 - 36 deg c
brake up curd into small bits and add 25 gm salt and mix through
put into mold
1st press for 20 min (flip)
2nd press for 40 min (flip)
3rd press for 4 hrs (flip)
4th press for 24 hrs (flip)
remove from press and allow product to dry and will then wax.

I used a combination of recipes from  Neil and Carole Willman (Melb Vic) and Ricky Carroll

Will see how we go but as I mentioned at the start pretty happy so far.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: My first cheddar
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum ^-^
very nice cheddar, looks like it came together great.
AC4U
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »
That's one beautiful cheese! 
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 12:22:33 AM »
Welcome also, I'm just up the road !! It's great to see the Australian presence increasing.  This is 'The Best' forum by far for all your cheese needs. That is one fine looking cheese. 

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

chevre au lait

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
Wow, that looks professional.  Here's hoping it tastes as good as it looks!
Regarding the Halloumi that you're making, I see the recipe asks for fresh mint leaves.  Halloumi is on my to-make list, but for some reason (I hear you snickering already) I can't grow mint!  I wonder if oregano leaves would make an acceptable, savoury variant?  Have you tried leaves other than mint?

Fundy Mental

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 02:41:35 AM »
Wow, that looks professional.  Here's hoping it tastes as good as it looks!
Regarding the Halloumi that you're making, I see the recipe asks for fresh mint leaves.  Halloumi is on my to-make list, but for some reason (I hear you snickering already) I can't grow mint!  I wonder if oregano leaves would make an acceptable, savoury variant?  Have you tried leaves other than mint?

I don't use mint at all, mainly because I am not a big fan. Recipe's I have seen use dried mint from a packet as opposed to fresh mint. It would make sense that you could use a replacement, give it a whirl.

Reflector

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 11:13:25 AM »
Good looking cheese indeed, and glad to find another that uses prepared wet starters. Do you also add a few grains of the freeze dried stuff to ultra-pasteurized milk and leave it on the bench top to thicken up for the next day's use? I forego the 45min ripening period when I do this because I figure the wet culture carries enough acidity with it to allow the rennet to function immediately. That is, of course, wild speculation. ;)

John@PC

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 11:22:41 AM »
Hi FM.  I'd give a cheese to you as well but I think there is a forum rule you can't have more cheeses than posts  ::).  I'm interested in your prepared (wet) starter as well and how you make it.  I made a batch of mother cultures using Sailor's directions but I don't make enough cheese for that quantity. 

Fundy Mental

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:37:17 AM »
In relation to wet starters, I have always used them regardless of the style of cheese I make. Exactly as reflector described is pretty much what I do. The amount may vary, for example between 200 - 230ml per 10l of milk depending upon the cheese. The UHT milk comes in cartons up to 2l size here so I just buy what I need and let the bugs do their thing the day prior.

JeffHamm

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 08:10:41 AM »
A cheese to you for a great looking cheddar!  Will really be worth it if you age it out for six months at the very least, and better again at eight.  If you can hold out for a year, well, might as well wait for Christmas and have a really nice cheddar during the holidays! :)

- Jeff

John@PC

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 03:36:41 PM »
I've always read that you should avoid using ultra-pasturized milk and cream for cheese making.  Is there a difference between UP and UHT (ultra-high temperature??) milk?  I know that when making mother cultures you heat to 200F to sterilize, but are you able to avoid that step using UP milk for the starter?  I makes sense and certainly would avoid the time-consuming sterilization step (which probably means you can't do it because it would just be too easy ::)).

Fundy Mental

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »
I've always read that you should avoid using ultra-pasturized milk and cream for cheese making.  Is there a difference between UP and UHT (ultra-high temperature??) milk?  I know that when making mother cultures you heat to 200F to sterilize, but are you able to avoid that step using UP milk for the starter?  I makes sense and certainly would avoid the time-consuming sterilization step (which probably means you can't do it because it would just be too easy ::)).

The use of UHT milk for the starter culture only is simply more convenient. In most cases it is around the 200 - 230ml. As I make it up the day before, its just easier. Doesn't seem to ruin the end product at all

JeffHamm

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 11:47:34 PM »
Hi John,

I use UHT skim milk to make mother culture with (add a bit of starter to it, leave it for 24 hours to thicken (in a warm place), then I freeze it into ice cubes.  I've never had a problem doing it this way for either meso or thermo cultures.

- Jeff

John@PC

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 10:23:29 PM »
Thanks FM & Jeff.  The 240ml (1 pt) sizes are perfect for me if I can find them locally.  I've always avoided UHT organic milk but will give it a try for the primer.  Based on what I've learned here a 16 oz of prepared primer milk starter should be good for 12 or so gal. milk assuming you freeze cubes and use 1% addition?

Fundy Mental

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 06:18:28 AM »
finally cracked the wax and very pleased with the taste, look, smell. 8 months old and a nice pre ANZAC day treat

FM