Author Topic: Favorite Hoops/Forms  (Read 5554 times)

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
Re: Favorite Hoops/Forms
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »
about the table-
it's not finished yet. That's the story. The plywood is just a substrate, it will have either tile or linoleum glued to it to make the work surface. Also under my cheeses I will have a wooden plank with a groove to drain the whey into a bucket.

Alp, what do you have underneath the plywood?  What's the base wood?  I was thinking of 2x6's, then 1/4" ply, then self-stick vinyl tiles.  My press has its whey trench built in, but the rest of the table, I was going to run 1 x 4 around the perimeter, probably tile it as well, with a small gate out to a bucket (in other words, one gate for the area where I place and knead the vat curds into the form, the other gate where the press runs out).
- Paul

Offline ArnaudForestier

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • Default personal text
    • Paul's FB
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 05:03:42 PM »
I guess my question really was, which would you suggest - 2x6 "subtabletop", basically, with 1/4" ply then tiles, or bag the 2x6 studs, and just use 3/4" ply, something like that (there will be 3 upright 2x4 frames supporting whatever spans the length as a tabletop)? 

Sorry for the hijack, just plan to finish the table this weekend, in prep for my Abondance make on Tuesday morning.  Many thanks for any thoughts, Alp or others.
- Paul

Alpkäserei

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2014, 02:40:43 AM »
I made mine all out of 2x4's, then put 1/2" plywood on top.
I have a 2x4 skirt, screwed together, then a strut in the middle to stiffen it.

Plywood top screwed down, then I will probably put vinyl tile on top.