Author Topic: Greetings!! (and a question)  (Read 2642 times)

Telsta860

Greetings!! (and a question)
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:31:36 PM »
Hello there from southern Oregon.  I just started my cheese making progression last week by making a couple quarts of yogurt and then straining one quart to make some never tryed before labneh.  We're having it for lunch today.  I'm very much looking forward to getting into the hard cheeses but the next step for me will be the neufchatel.  I'll start on that just as soon as I can find some rennet.  So far I've only been able to find it on line.

My question is this:  With regard to yogurt making, if I add sugar, vanilla and gelatin to my cold milk, can I still use the end product for a starter?

Tea

Re: Greetings!! (and a question)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 11:10:56 PM »
Welcome Telstra to the forum.  In regards to the yoghurt I have never tried it, but as we sometimes use bought yoghurts as cultures  and these ingredients are in some of them, I can't see why it wouldn't work.
Try it and let us know your findings.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:24:14 PM »
Hello Telsta860 and welcome to the forum!

I make quite a bit of Yogurt but not yet Labneh (also known as Strained/Greek/Bulgarian/Cheese Yogurt/Lebaneh), although used to eat a lot of it when posted in Syria. How are you straining your yogurt and for how long?

Access to rennet was also my first problem, luckily I found some locally here in Houston, Texas in an eye dropper type bottle in one of two Whole Foods stores in the cheese section :). If you find some locally, get the newest package and if you can, post where found in the Geographic > USA > Oregon Board so that others can use your knowledge, actually if you ask in that board some of the other Oregonion Members may know where to get it locally.

On yogurt, as Tea replied, I have read of someone using flavoured live yogurt as a starter and I mostly use store bought 1 US quart unflavoured live yogurt as a starter, this on has pectin and worked fine. I just use a bit of it as my starter each time, lasts me about 3 weeks then buy another "mother culture". I don't use gelatin and get good sets.

Again welcome!

Telsta860

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 11:40:39 PM »
How are you straining your yogurt and for how long?

Dug some old T-shirt material out of the rag bag, boiled it for 10 minutes, laid it on a colander and poured the salted yogurt.  Tied it up and hung it in a cool place for 24 hours.  Perfect.

Tried it w/olive oil over a Ritz, then olive oil and pepper, then w/ a little peppermint.  Didn't really care for it.  Mixed in a little minced garlic--much better.

Cheese Head

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:51:56 PM »
Telsta860, thanks, lots of things taste better with garlic ;D!

Wannie

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 12:50:58 AM »
Hi Telsta and welcome to the forum.

I made the yogurt first an you did and it set perfectly for me too.  I also made the Labneh the way you did and it turned out very good.  I mixed some fresh chopped dill weed in my labneh and I thought was very tasty on the Ritz crackers.  My grandson (will be 3 in June) loved it also.  I got some powdered ranch dip mix at the store and am gonna try some in it also.  Ill let you know on that one.

Good luck on the rennet.  It looks like you are on the right track though.

I agree with John, just about anything tastes better with a little garlic, lol...

Ronnie from TN...

pamaples

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 10:17:05 PM »
Hi Telsta,

Try your local pharmacy for the rennet tablets. Look for a non-chain pharmacy with and elderly pharmacist. S/he may carry it or should be able to get it. I use goat milk and  Brown Cow organic plain yogurt as my starter and then use some from my last jar to start the next batch. I do that till it gets kinda sour and then I start with a new brown cow. I'm gonna have to try that yogurt cheese thing!

Have fun,
Pam

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:22:45 AM »
Welcome aboard telsta. The vanilla and geletin shouldn't hurt the yogurt for future use as a culture. I often use vanilla as a sweetener in my plain yogurt. I have use Knox geletin in my yogurt for pasterized skimed milk and used it as a starter later without problems.

For a treat with crackers or a nice crispy artician bread try adding some finely chopped silciian green or Greek black olives to your Labneh. Sundried tomatoes are good with this also.