Author Topic: Makin' whey in West Michigan  (Read 6527 times)

shoelessone

Re: Makin' whey in West Michigan
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 04:35:24 AM »
By the way Zinger, FYI I found a guy on craigslist who said he'd give me a 10' piece of PVC pipe with 6" internal diameter.  I'm thinking about cutting it into molds.  I don't need 10' worth of cheese molds, so if I end up doing it I'll let you know and maybe I could cut a few for you (obviously for free). 

I haven't had a chance to check out Siclianos yet, but I'll keep you posted  :)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 07:26:56 AM »
Shoe read some of the mold posts by me and others to make sure it's food grade PVC, there is some PVC made with lead, seriously. All white PVC I know of is food safe. Black is never good and light blue and light green can be bad.

Zinger

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 03:35:48 PM »
Shoe, Thanks for thinking of me on the molds. I'll appreciate having them and I'll even buy you a cup of coffee at Panera's when I take delivery.

Z

wharris

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »
I got my PVC moulds from the cut-offs of construction projects.  They throw away so much PVC.  I would look around for those prior to buying. 

shoelessone

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 08:43:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys :)

This is white PVC, so I think we're good there :)

As far as buying it, I don't plan on it!  Somebody said they had a bunch of it they were getting rid of, 8 x 10' sections, they said I could have one.  At least that's what I understood from the email, I'm going to call next week to confirm and figure out when/where I should pickup :)

Zinger

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 09:19:20 PM »
Hey Shoe as I understand it most white PVC is fine, however if it is marked ABS it is not good. Others feel free to correct me if I am mistaken. I hope what you can get is usable especially since I stand to profit from it.  :D

pamaples

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 09:59:54 PM »
Hi Zinger, as for the basement, try a good cleaning and de-cobwebbing, then rent an ozone machine for a weekend. After that all you should need is a well vented metal cabinet; something between a pie safe and a bread box. The fire and flood damage cleaners keep ozone machines and sometines rent them out. The ozone will kill all the mold in the basement and maybe then you can introduce your own. (This from a newbie cheese maker without a basement.) :)

Pam

Zinger

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 01:30:15 AM »
Pam, thanks for the thoughts on the basement. I will give that very serious consideration.

wharris

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 06:40:55 PM »
They make Ozone Machines?  really?
Shouldnt we be running factory sized ozone machines to plug those holes in the ozone we hear about?   ;)

I jest a bit,  but I had no idea that they made ozone machines.

BobnCathy

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 06:53:06 PM »
Good to see all the local folks here.  Wife and I are just getting into cheesemaking.  We got our first book/kit at Siciliano's.  Great place.  I've been going there for years for my homebrewing supplies.  Thing I've always like about them is that they're willing to talk with you and answer questions, rather than just selling stuff to you and rushing you out the door.

Btw...we're in Wyoming.

Bob

pamaples

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 10:30:55 PM »
Hi Wayne,

They do make ozone machines and I have one. I have issues with mold and used to live in NC where mold is a way of life. Since I moved to NM mold is no longer a problem but I still find the machine quite useful for getting out odors. I do my house every so often and it leaves it smelling like the clean air after a thunderstorm. I think it kills bugs too; not much can live in too much oxygen.

Pam