Author Topic: Goat Mozzarella - Mayhem  (Read 980 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Goat Mozzarella - Mayhem
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:05:41 AM »
A little cheesy story…..
After milking the goat, I brought home about 1.5 quarts. I did not want to combine it with cow milk and thought of a small mozzarella attempt instead! Starting at about 3:00 in the afternoon, I used 1/32 tsp of Su Casu, a nice thermo blend, and let it ripen for an hour. When I tested the curd it was already at 6.3 ph, so I was not surprised when 0.25 ml of rennet led to flocculation in 3 mins! Oh well! So I cut the curd at 10.5 mins in 2 inch pieces, waited 5 mins, then cut to about ¾ inch.  I waited for the curd to drop to the desired 6.1, but it had not happened by the time I had to leave for a dinner appointment, so I put the whole pan in the frig for overnight. Oh well!  Next day, starting at 9:30 AM, I slowly brought it back up to temp (90 degrees) but overshot to 98! Oh well! At 11:00, in between phone calls, I realized we were at 6.0, rather than the desired 6.1, (oh well!) so I drained the curd, and kept it over the warm whey for cheddaring. Flipped the mass at 12:00, thinking this smells pretty good. Ph meter says 5.8… not ready. Heated some water to 160, to test a bit anyway, and it seemed a bit stretchy.  At 1:00 I thought I better check again… meter says 5.6. Recalibrated…. 5.1 Oh well! Heated salty whey to 175, whoops 185 hot!!!  Put the small pieces of curd in the hot whey, and pulled the melting pieces back out as they dripped out all that lovely fat. Oh well!  But guess what?  It stretched!!  And quite nicely too!  It is a firm 5 ounce cheese rather than the soft one I was aiming for, but nice for caprese salad anyway. It did have a nice creamy flavor! And next week I should get another chance at it. Hopefully with fewer interruptions!
Susan

Reflector

Re: Goat Mozzarella - Mayhem
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:28:08 AM »
That looks deeeee-licious! And seems like this goat's milk mozzarella is quite a robust and forgiving little cheese all round. Well played!