Author Topic: Very Bitter Chedder  (Read 1379 times)

rsandler00

Very Bitter Chedder
« on: August 29, 2014, 05:51:20 PM »
Hi, i recently made chedder for my first time and I found that while it definitely had the chedder flavor, it was very bitter. I made 3 possibly mistakes and wanted to know if either of them could cause this:

1) I used too much rennet (possibly double/triple the amount called for)

2) I Used normal melted candle wax rather than specialty cheese wax

3) Before I waxed the cheese, I waited too long and it developed a good amount of mold on the outside

Thanks
Roman

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Very Bitter Chedder
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
Roman, welcome to the forum!

I am only 8 months into cheese making, so take my answers with a grain of salt -- but I'll take a try at answering your questions:

1) Yes, especially if it is vegetable-based rennet

2) Don't know, but wouldn't think this by itself would be an issue

3) Possible, depending on the mold -- but often the off-flavor will be limited to the rind

Hopefully others with more experience will be along shortly to add to, or correct, my answers!
-- Andy

rsandler00

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »
Thanks awakephd

It was vegetable-based rennet!

Reflector

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 01:41:39 PM »
I often use unscented candles as a source of paraffin wax. I've never found that they impart any flavours either.

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
Hi Roman (great name for a USC Trojan, I presume ::)) and welcome to the forum.  Bitter cheese is a pretty common outcome that affected my first chedder.  Here is a link to a good and short answer to your question from Eric (Spoons).   Jeff Hamm also had a post about too much rennet (something like anything past twice as much as recommended can result in bitter cheese.

A question for you: you are a recently-joined member and we've had problems with prospective members joining.  Did you have any issues getting you're activation? 

rsandler00

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 07:49:46 PM »
Thanks for the reply guys!

I did have problems registering at first. I never got an an activation activation email for my gmail email, but I was able to get it after a few attempts for my usc email....

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:40:32 PM »
Thanks for the info on registration Roman as it parallels recent feedback on this thread.  Then again it could be the NSA clamping down on us cheese makers  ;D.  I guess one thing it speaks for is the popularity of the forum (closing in on 8,000 registered members by my count).