Author Topic: Some advice on Rind Washing  (Read 5540 times)

Alpkäserei

Some advice on Rind Washing
« on: September 01, 2014, 07:11:07 PM »
Here are some observations about washing rinds, based on studying the problems others are experiencing or the questions people come to due to lack of experience, or a general lack of knowledge

First of all, regarding the development of a slimy paste:

The slime (Schmier) that develops on a rind is a complex colony of a variety of organism, and its growth is also complex. It's not simply a matter of humidity levels, washing practices, etc. Experience tells me that the heaviness of the Schmier and how thick the slime will be depends on the moisture content of the cheese, the amount of liquid you apply to the surface when washing, and the frequency of washing. Relative humidty is actually one of the least important factors in all of this. I can get very similar results at 80% RH compared to 90%. This is simply because, we are applying new moisture to the surface daily at a rate faster than it will evaporate.

Many make the mistake of thinking that if their cheeses become too slimy (and this includes cheeses they never washed, but became naturally infected) than they wil just let them dry out on their own or put them in a drier environment. This will not work. Left uncared for, this will actually result in a more slimy rind, because the bacteria are allowed to grow unchecked.

What we need to do to maintain a proper rind is wash it daily. If you want a drier rind, then you add very little new liquid to the cheese. Your focus instead is to smear around the slime that is already there, which has a significant effect on what will grow and how it grows. So if your cheese gets too slimy, you don't let it dry out, but you rub it around with a moist brush (horse hair bristle is the best)
I use a circular horse hair brush for washing cheese with short, fairly stiff bristles. I store it in the wash brine (which is the soaking brine with some white wine added) and shake off as much liquid as I can manage. For smaller wheels, I will wash 2 or 3 wheels before dipping it in again, this gives me the proper moisture content. If you have only 1 or two very small wheels you may want to knock your brush against the counter or a board to get rid of excess moisture before washing with it. A larger wheel may get the brush dipped for each wheel.
If I were to re-dip the brush more often, I would be adding too much liquid, so that I would get very slimy rinds. That may be desired for some cheeses, but I like a fairly thin, light rind.
The cheeses are usually washed daily for 10 days, then once or twice per week after. The newer wheels should have more moisture added while the older (post 10 day) should be scrubbed with a fairly dry brush.

There have been some discussion of cheese becoming slimy and how to deal with this, and usually the solution arrived at is to let it air out.
This won't work, at least not well. This is because you have a very active bacteria that will just keep working, and when airing out will get overtaken with mold (the bacteria in these early stages creates an environment that is wonderful for mold, so this is actually a good place to get to if you want to grow a lot of mold very fast)
Others wipe of the slime, which is an OK short term solution (like, if you need it de-slimed right now so you can eat it). But if you are actually looking to correct this problem so the cheese can be aged, you need to develop a rind that is naturally hard. In order to do this you need to wash it and adjust its composition. If it's really slimy, use a brush that is slightly damp. This will also have surprising results eliminating odor.

The best way to keep slime from developing in the first place is to have an aggressive brushing regiment using a damp brush (dampened with a very salty brine)
or to brush with a small amount of dry salt.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Some advice on Rind Washing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
Thanks Alp for a very helpful posting. Letting a rind develop is new for me. Mostly I have just tried to keep them clean, then bag them up as soon as they seem dry to touch! I am happy with the cheeses I have been making, but it will be fun to try another new way of managing them.  If a cheese is already 2 weeks or 4 weeks out, is it too late to start a slime treatment?
The humidity in my 6 cu ft cave is still running quite high however; generally 90% or higher. When I put a desiccant canister in there, the silicon beads fill with water quite rapidly! So the cheeses that I have been wanting fairly clean, I have been brushing or rubbing with salt and a slight amount of vinegar. It seems like this has to be done quite often in order to keep them clean. I was away for 3 days and came back to quite a flush of growth!
Susan

StuartDunstan

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 10:22:36 PM »
So would the same advice apply to soft washed rind cheeses as well? I assume you wouldn't want to use a brush, but maybe something like cheesecloth just to give it a wipe over?

andreark

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:45:04 PM »
Thanks Alp. (May I call you Alp?)

I have been trying, (many posted questions to the Forum) for many moons to do a proper Epoisse type.  And by this I mean, one that develops a
thinnish (wd?) orangy/tan crust similar to the French Epoisses that I purchase.   I have gotten a decent flavor, but I would also like the proper
rind development.

Well, I have one in the hopper now that is ready to be 'schmeired'.  I have tried many things, including fan drying the rind......doesn't work!!   But
what you say, I will try.   I have always washed (with B.Lin and lite brine)'every 3 days' and then changed  to Grappa and brine, also every few days.

I, like Stuart, assume you are talking about a harder cheese than Epoisse.  So I just ordered a 'soft bristled' round horse hair brush.  I will try your
 method using the softer brush.  Oh well, , , here goes.

I'll let you know soon.

By the way, I will be SOOOOO glad NOT to have to be careful with the Goooo.  I actually hope that a smaller amount develops with your method.

Thanks again,

andrea

Alpkäserei

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 03:06:28 PM »
I have never made soft washed rinds, so I can only work off of assumptions. My cheeses are the ALpine style, extra-hard, hard and semi-hard cheeses.
But logic tells me the process should essentially be the same. You are after the same thing, growing the same microorganisms, using the same protein basis, etc.

You have to let the cheese be washed for 10 days, otherwise it WILL mold. after this if you flip it once or twice a week, only washing it very lightly when it seems like it needs it, it should slowly dry off. At this point, you CAN wipe it off to get it to dry faster and it will have a lasting effect.

andreark

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 03:19:17 PM »
Oh thanks a bunch!!

I am starting another batch on Thursday and will post the results in a couple of weeks.

andrea

PS, not that you need it, but I just gave you another cheese.

John@PC

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:55:30 AM »
Thanks Alp - always look forward to your posts to learn more than I knew before  :).  I remembered seeing pictures of you washing your cheeses in the "cabin" which highlights your technique nicely. 

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 01:37:11 PM »
So would the same advice apply to soft washed rind cheeses as well? I assume you wouldn't want to use a brush, but maybe something like cheesecloth just to give it a wipe over?
Here's an example of a soft washed-rind cheese.

Typically, I wash with a 3-5% brine which may be dosed with SR3 and/or PLA. I began early on using 2inch-2inch gauze squares, but then got tuned into using woven cotton cosmetic wipes which work much better and don't leave lint residue.

Alp, thanks for that addendum to your rind-washing treatise you scribed previously, which I've included here.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:42:26 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

StuartDunstan

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
Thanks Boofer. I'm still continuing to wash my rind every day with a brine solution with a little bit of B.Linens added, but I've kind of given up hope of seeing any orange. I'm not sure what went wrong, because I added it to the milk as well. But the cheese is obviously developing, as it is getting softer and softer underneath the rind and also quite fragile. I think I'm going to have to wrap it up and put it in the fridge on the weekend, because it's starting to get too fragile to pick up, wash and flip. They don't really smell at all, so maybe I got a dud batch of B.Linens (it's the first time I've used them). But even if they don't turn out how I wanted, they still look like they'd be good eating. Next time I might try a reblochon recipe and see how that goes.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:40:52 PM »
Stuart, remember that linens like to be taken out for a walk every day.... ???

Well, not really, but they do like to have a little airing of 30 minutes or so outside the cave and minicave. Just don't put them outside. ;)

And they should be moist, not bone-dry.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

StuartDunstan

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 11:46:46 PM »
Ok, I might try that for the next couple of days and see if I get any growth.

In the evenings when I do the washing, I do notice that the cheese is never moist anymore. The surface is always dry with a little white on it (salt and geo probably). This is despite being given a good wash and kept in plastic containers with one small hole for ventilation in my cave. I'm quite perplexed how it dries out so much in 24 hours.