Author Topic: FHC b.linens problem  (Read 1195 times)

Chiizu

FHC b.linens problem
« on: September 05, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »
Due to size and price restrictions as well as lack of proper equipment I'm making 3 liter/quart cheeses for now.  Ok I think my first mistake was keeping  the cheese on a plate for the first 24 hrs. After pressing.
Second was using an enclosed netted veggie type dryer, with the cheeses elevated on metal racks.  I should have had the cheese on racks in small Tupperware caves at room temp for the air drying period.  They were quite wet and I blotted them several times per day, as well as removed dripping whey.  But as said in the original post on day 4 eau de sox struck.  >:D.  The odor was that of sox and old beer, but not as bad as that sounds.
We have high humidity 75% or so and temps of 25c/75f  now. So actually I thought that wasn't too bad for air drying conditions.  On day 4 just as a yellowish or darker white rind started to form the odor arose.  However there were no dark or red spots that I've read are associated with b.linens , just a few yellow spots aside from largish yellow on the edges, what I assumed was the rind beginning to form.   I've since vacuum bagged them and have them in the veggie drawer of the fridge at 14c/55f.  Someone mentioned on the prior thread that it may be a yeast problem, hope it's not that.  If you can diagnose my problems, thanks. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 02:44:54 AM by Chiizu »

Chiizu

Re: FHC b.linens problem
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
So is yellow associated with b.linens?  My third FHC is now two days into air drying and starting to yellow a bit and is just a tiny bit slimy, or wet I can't really tell due to inexperience.  It smells better than the storebought bleu I just got haha.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 01:28:31 PM »
How long from make to vacuum bag? Seems like this was still developing the rind and moist when you bagged it. Yes, the yellow-orange color could be B. linens, which likes a moist, airy environment.

Having that hanging veggie dryer with the cheese by the door is disturbing. You should try to reduce traffic in and around where you're making your cheese: no open windows or doors, no pets in the area.

Sounds like you've acquired some useful information regarding the use of minicaves (plastic ripening boxes) for your next efforts. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Chiizu

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
Thanks boofer, actually that door never opens this time of year. But there is some airflow nearby.  From make to bag for the picture was 5 days.  Soon the humidity will drop off sharply and make for a better drying environment here, perhaps summer is not the time to make cheese here.  I don't notice any spreading of the yellow on the bagged cheese now in the fridge at 50f/10c.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:04:44 PM »
That's rather quick to encase it in plastic. Hopefully it had dried out enough, but you may experience some weeping in the bag from trapped residual whey. If that's the case, open the bag, dry the cheese & bag, and reseal it.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Chiizu

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:31:54 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I think they were pretty dry due to their small size. 3 liters of milk so the cheeses are about 3.5inches square and 1.5 inches thick.  90mmx90mmx40mm. So far no weeping in the bags. The circular cheese with the most yellow spots hasn't had the spots spread any more. The square cheese had some yellow and light brown but it has since disappeared in the bag and it's pure white and firm :)  just bagged another FHC today and have two small bleu's just starting to age.