Author Topic: Mystery Solved! regarding pH measurements  (Read 1215 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Mystery Solved! regarding pH measurements
« on: October 05, 2014, 08:57:37 PM »
I need to give a cheese to Sailor con Queso for helping me to solve a mystery regarding my pH meter readings. I have been lucky enough to bring home milk from a farm! But I thought I was doing something wrong in collecting or transporting the milk home because my pH meter after calibration was showing 6.5 before starting my make. I felt like I was chasing the pH the entire make each time...
Sailor suggested taking the pH meter to the source! So I calibrated my Hanna 98127, and took it to the farm. The milk straight out of the cow measured 6.5!
So today I am the proud owner of an Exstik 100 !! It seemed a good excuse!
And THANK YOU to Sailor!
Susan

Spoons

Re: Mystery Solved! regarding pH measurements
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 01:56:22 AM »
You'll love the Exstik 100! Keep a bottle of 4 & 7 calibration and you'll be just fine. With the Exstik100, you can measure curd PH after a press. Great purchase!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 01:25:21 PM »
Yea, Susan!

I'll echo what Eric said...I love my ExStik 100 too!

Once you get it settled down and working consistently well, it makes everything so much clearer.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

John@PC

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »
Glad you got to the bottom of it Susan (and Sailor) and a cheese for both of you for the discovery ;).  The Extech ExStik is, as far as I can find, the only pH tester anywhere near it's price range with a flat electrode that can measure both liquids and solids.  I've seen a few probe sensor that can do solids they leave a mark (hole) and they're $200 and up.  For that reason we've decided the pH100 is the only tester we are going to carry.  I still have my beloved Oakton pH2 (actually it's my 2nd because the first one had a cracked housing) and it is satisfactory, but for $30 more the Extech is worth it.

By the way (and just slightly off topic) if you're really interested in seeing what's going in your cave as far as temperature and %RH are concerned you may want to look at a humidity / temperature USB datalogger.  Extech sells one and so does Lascar for the same price.  I've used both, and while Extech makes a great pH tester the Lascar datalogger is in my opinion superior and has a better data downloading interface.  The data you get over a longer time interval can help diagnose problems.