Author Topic: Dry Salting vs Brining  (Read 1827 times)

Offline sprocket

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
Dry Salting vs Brining
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:58:25 PM »

Hello all -

Relative newbie to the board here, but looking forwards to getting more involved!

Does anyone have any feedback regarding dry salting cheeses vs brining?  What are the benefits or drawbacks of each method?

Thank you!

John@PC

Re: Dry Salting vs Brining
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:56:41 PM »
Hi sproket (you must be married to chain?  ::).  When you say dry salting do you mean dry salting the rind after pressing (instead of brining) or salting the curds before pressing?

Offline sprocket

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 04:55:10 AM »
Hi sproket (you must be married to chain?  ::).  When you say dry salting do you mean dry salting the rind after pressing (instead of brining) or salting the curds before pressing?

I meant the former - rubbing salt on the rind after pressing. :)

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 10:17:49 AM »
Hi Sproket- - first up welcome to the forum..  Dry v Brine.  I could go into a long boring tirade about dissolving rates and absorbing rates of salt... and unfortunately it is a depends answer.  I don't mean to be obtuse so by whey of explaination.
Case 1 dry salting Camembert style cheese I prefer this but you can brine them as well.
Case 2 Caerphilly some say brine - actually most do :) - but I prefer dry salting during the press.
Case 3 Manchago - I brine.

And I know its confusing but it all hinges on what you are attempting to do and what cheese and also the moisture of the cheese after pressing.  Cheddar - neither as it should have been salted prior to pressing. A Caerphilly can be still quite wet and adding salt to the outside needs to done carefully. Salt does 2 things.
1. stops the acid productions
2. draws whey from the cheese. brining (depending on the concentration) is more efficient in doing this.

Confused yet -- Sorry !
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !